Skip to main content

Answers to Questions About Poetry




Earlier in the week I visited Mount Eliza North Primary School and had the great pleasure of working with groups of young, enthusiastic poets and their teachers.





When I arrived these young poets were loaded with lots of questions for me to answer. I tried to answer as many as I could, but we ran out of time, so I agreed to answer more questions right here!

So here goes:

When you were little did you love writing?
The short answer is yes. I have always enjoyed words and language. I can't recall a time when I wasn't doing some kind of writing.

When did you write your first poetry book?
I have had poems published, but it wasn't until 2014 that I had an entire book of poems (an anthology) published. When I looked back through all my notebooks I realized I had hundreds of poems from which to choose. So, 'Searching For Hen's Teeth-Poetry From The Search Zone' became my first collection of poems to go public. 




How many poetry books do you own?
I am not really sure of the exact number, but I would estimate, close to two hundred. I am a collector and the words of my fellow poets inspire me. That's why I started my very own poet's suitcase to house my very special book collection.




When did you write your first poem?
I wrote my first poem in Grade 2. It was a poem about springtime. I can't remember the words, but I can remember how good it felt to write a poem that my teacher and my classmates liked. It gave me the encouragement to keep writing. 

What Inspired you to write poetry?
My Dad always played with words and encouraged me to think about the way language works. Riddles and puzzles and word games were a part of my childhood. In Grade 6, my teacher, John Harris loved reading poetry to his students, particularly Australian poetry. He ignited the spark that grew into my life long love of poetry.

What is your favourite poetry book?
I would have to say, 'Quick,Let's Get Out of Here by Michael Rosen. A wonderful book of narrative poems that continue to make me smile and inspire me as a poet.The poems have a strong thread of humour running through them and remind me of my own adventures as a kid. My all time favourite poem, Chocolate Cake is in this book. I have shared it more than any other poem, including any of my own.




Have you written any new poems lately?
Well, yes I have. I am regularly writing poems. In fact some of my more recent poems have been included in my next book, 'I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon' which will be released soon.

Of the poems you have written, which one is your favourite?
That's a hard question to answer. It's like saying you have a favourite child. I still get a laugh from reading 'The Puny Knight and The Miffed Maiden.' It's a poem I enjoyed writing very much. Lots of kids like the 'Dead Rat' poem, so that pleases me too.

Where do you get your ideas?
Ah ideas! They're everywhere. They float in the air. I hear ideas. I see ideas. I feel ideas. I even smell ideas. 
A writer must use their senses. Ideas present themselves in the books I read, the conversations I have and the places I go. I get ideas from other writers. They exist in my memories. They exist in 'things.' Just sit and look around you. There are ideas everywhere, just waiting to be discovered. Ideas exist in the playground, the park, your house; just about anywhere. As writers we must become collectors and observers. 


What was your favourite book as a child?
My favourite book as a child was 'The Complete Adventures of Blinky Bill by Dorothy Wall.  I still have it. It sits proudly on my book shelves to this day. Every kid wanted a copy, a bit like the Treehouse books today. 

What do you like about poetry?
Poetry gives me the chance to play with words. It challenges  me to use my best words because we write poetry in tight spaces. I love poetry's rhyme and rhythms. I love its close relationship to music. I love poetry's many moods. I love how words dance off my tongue when I say them. I love the feeling I get when I create poetry. I especially love how poetry can be created in many different ways. Poetry makes my heart sing! I hear it. I see it. I feel it in my heart. Poetry is my oxygen.


Comments

  1. What a fabulous idea! I am so stealing that one. Because there is never enough time for all the questions. I'm sure the kids from 4A & 4D love this! I particularly liked hearing what inspired you to write poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

List Poems Are Easy To Like

A list poem is one of the easiest kinds of poems to write because it doesn't require a set rhythm or rhyme. But that doesn't mean you should write anything down helter- skelter.

Consider the inclusion of the following elements to make a list poem a poem instead of just a list:

• The writer is telling you something--pointing something out--saying, "Look at this," or, "Think about this."
• There's a beginning and end to it, like in a story.
• In other words, the poem needs to make sense and have some kind of flow to it.

List poems provide an easy and successful structure to get children feeling more comfortable with poetry. They are to be found in the poetry of many cultures and have been employed successfully by many contemporary poets.

Poetry is full of surprises. List also need to be full of surprises. Without the occasional surprise your list poems will have all the appeal of a supermarket shopping list on a day when you don't want to go shopping!

Here …

The Challenge Of Rhyming Verse For The Inexperienced Poet

Poetry is an extremely flexible writing form. It is easily weaved into our writing programs across the year as opposed to just being pigeon holed into a specific unit of work. Poetry offers a unique response to literature -fiction or non fiction. Such is the flexible nature of poetry. 

From an early age children have much exposure to a significant amount of rhyming verse. That our classrooms are filled with poetry that is enjoyable to listen to, or fun to read is important, but it may not necessarily provide the best starting point for inexperienced poetry writers.

When used skilfully rhyme can add to the lyrical nature of poetry. When it is used out a sense of expectation, it frequently serves to detract from the poem's intention. It weakens the words overall. If you listen closely you can hear the words clunking into place. They just sound like they don't belong.

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti-rhyme. In fact, I have to guard against over using it. It is a natural inclina…

Image Poem

Image Poem

This poem owes its existence to Georgia Heard's idea of the six room image poem where six elements are addressed in the writing that follows:

Image
Light
Sound
Questions
Feelings
Repetition

The challenge is to expand our vision of selected images by attending to each element when writing. The idea is to spend time considering each of the six elements by thinking about them as rooms we must enter in order to think more deeply about our word choice.


The Grandfather Clock

The Grandfather clock
Stood tall like a palace guard
Marking time in Nana's lounge-room
Against the wall
Avoiding the sunlight streaming through lace curtained windows
Tick-tocking as the pendulum swung in its unerring arc
Brass and chains and moving arms 
Encased behind a long glass face
The clock announced the passing of each hour
With blare and boom
The rowdy ringing out
Chased the silence from the room
Why so loud? the small ones asked
Why so tall? the small ones wondered
They kept their distance
Time moved on relentlessl…