Skip to main content

Poetry of Place No2

I recently worked for a week in Darwin, a city situated in Australia’s Northern Territory. Located in the nation’s tropical north, the city was under the influence of the annual dry season. ‘You reach a point when you’ve had enough of the dust and everything turning to brown,’ someone told me as we drove out of the city, one morning.

Interestingly, a major focus of my work during that week with teachers and students, focused on poetry.

So, while staying in Darwin, the following poem emerged in my notebook. As poets, we are strongly influenced by place or setting. This is poetry of place. The words are influenced by my experiences and the comments of those I met during my stay.


Big Dry

I stand under the eaves
Seeking salvation from the unrelenting sun.
Disturbed by the hot wind
Leaves
with hues of dry straw, swirl at my feet
Sounding faintly scratchy,
Brittle.
Dust scatters in puffs
Rising
Settling
On every available surface.

An eagle hovers,
Between the baked-earth land
And the blazing sun
Supreme against the cloudless sky.

Far off,
The horizon dances the shimmer
While an old brown dog
Lazes inside the shadow line beside the house.

Moisture is a stranger
In this bone dry world.
No dewdrops reside here.
The dry season
Parches everything,
Everyone.
This pitiless season
Sheds no tears.






Comments

  1. That final stanza is very powerful! You really made me feel how parched it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Sydney for about seven years, but we never traveled as far as Darwin. I especially like you third stanza... the lazy dog says it all with no words at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. We experienced a terrible drought in my city last summer, and I remember that weariness, ground down by the constant sun and heat and dust. Beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful imagery, I can see the dog panting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Objects of Poetry

We can all write poems about objects, particularly those we value. You may be in possession of an object you cherish quite deeply, or simply find appealing. You may have an object given to you by a loved one. You may have an object which arouses curiosity or mystery. Something we call a curio. On occasions I have found myself writing odes to seemingly everyday objects.

Let's Consider Objects

Find an object of interest and place it in front of you. Now look at it closely. Bring all your senses into play and begin to focus on all its details. Check out your selected object from different distances and angles- close up with a magnifying glass, or from a distance.

Try speaking to your object. Ask it questions. I suggest you do this when you are on your own, otherwise people may begin to think you are a bit loopy. But do it. Think about what your object might say if it had a voice. What would it tell you?

Now, start gathering possible words:

Where did you find or receive the object?
Where di…

Opposite Poems

Opposite Poems


In his book, 'How To Write Poetry,' Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try.

Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work.

I think the opposite of chair
Is sitting down with nothing there

What is the opposite of kind?
A goat that butts you from behind

Paul Janeczko

You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done.

What is the opposite of new?
Stale gum that's hard to chew
A hot-dog roll as hard as rock
Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock

You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed.

Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not every thing has an opposite and not every word has an easy t…

When Poetry Visits The Traveller

I really enjoy the poems that emerge from my immediate engagement with places I visit.

When a poem arises from visiting a particular place, it is a joy for my poet's heart. I have written before about the 'poetry of place.' I recognise its strong influence on my writing. I look forward to the words that come flooding my way.

This little poem came to me during my very recent trip to Vietnam. It was a response to the morning skies that greeted me in the city of Hanoi. I stepped out and into the busy streets of the city's bustling old quarter and the skies above me were brooding, grey and heavy with expectation.It was all set up for me to notice- and I embraced the moment.

I encourage all young poets to be open to poetry ideas related to place. Ideas frequently present themselves whenever we do some mindful meandering in new or unfamiliar places. We must remain open to possibilities, wherever we go in this world.


Hanoi Morning
The sky
Seamless
Grey
Drapes itself suffocatingly
Over…