Skip to main content

Poetry In Emotion

I tried this approach to poetry at Heany Park  Primary School with some Grade 5 students and thought I would share it with you.
When it comes to emotions it’s better to write it out than act it out!
To be able to write about emotions, we first have to acknowledge that we have them. We have to adopt a show don’t tell approach when we look inside to find physical descriptions for the emotions we wish to describe.




Procedure:

• Share the poems provided (below) as models of ‘emotion poems’

• Ask students what they notice about the structure of the poems.

• You may need to point out the noun- verb pattern used extensively in the poems.

• Brainstorm some emotional states such as being happy, lazy, nervous, anxious, crazy etc.

• Invite students to write a poem using the structure of the emotion poems and an emotion of their choice.

• Remind students that their poems should reflect the noun –verb pattern of the earlier poems

• Ask the students to share their poems with a partner without giving the emotion. Can the partner guess what emotion is being described.


Emotion Poems



Bored

I’m bored
Horse yawning
Eye blinking
Time dragging
Sleep craving
Foot twitching
Sigh heaving
Brain bulging
Fly watching
Freckle counting
Fun fading
Hope sinking
Bored

Alan Wright


Embarrassed

I’m embarrassed
Pants wetting
Cheek burning
Step tripping
Food spilling
Banana slipping
Mom dancing
Dad singing
Dog farting
Embarrassed

Alan Wright

Angry

I’m angry
Foot stomping
Door kicking
Wall hitting
Boo throwing
Desk slapping
Drawer slamming
Pencil breaking
Paper tearing
Teeth bearing
Mad

The worst part is,
Can’t you see?
There’s no one else to blame
But me.

Sara Holbrook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...