Skip to main content

PRESS RELEASE- Searching for Hen's Teeth -poetry from the search zone

PRESS RELEASE!


Alan J Wright provides poetry for wide audience with new book.

Searching For Hen’s Teeth’ gives poet’s insight into life journey

MORNINGTON, Australia – Alan J Wright has been writing poetry since he was a teenager. He tells others, “Poetry is my oxygen.” In his new poetry collection, “Searching For Hen’s Teeth” (published by Balboa Press AU), he has brought together the variety of forms his poetry has taken over the years.

“This book is a collection of poetry aiming to celebrate the power of poetry to convey a myriad of emotions and ideas,” Wright says. “It serves as a practical example for teachers, librarians and parents that poetry is an ever-expanding genre and a powerful source of inspiration that deserves to be shared with children.”

Humor and irony appear throughout Wright’s poetry. He touches on the ideas of success and failure as individuals grow, both physically and emotionally. “Searching For Hen’s Teeth” represents Wright’s observations as he has journeyed through key stages of life.

“Poetry is eternal, ageless,” Wright says. “It should always be accessible.”

An excerpt from “Searching For Hen’s Teeth”:

“The world needs its poets to each play a part
Let the words ring out
Let the poet inside you sing
People are poets
Only a poet can colour the wind”

“Searching For Hen’s Teeth: Poetry from the Search Zone”
By Alan J Wright
Softcover | 6 x 9 in | 106 pages | ISBN 9781452526348
E-Book | 106 pages | ISBN 9781452526355
Available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble

About the Author

Alan J Wright is an education consultant. He is the creator of the blog http://livinglifetwice-alwrite.blogspot.com, which supports teachers of writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Words of Student Poets

Recently I had the special treat of working with Year 7 poets from Brighton Primary School in Adelaide. During the day we closely examined a range of poetic structures and devices and applied them to our writing of poetry.
With one group I introduced Suzanna Marshak’s  powerful book ‘I Am The Ocean’ to alert these enthusiastic poets to the potential power of writing through a mask and using personification. Another group looked at personification through their connection to things in the world around them. 

Using the poem, ‘I Am These Things And More’ as a model.  Students were challenged to think about these important connections. A particular focus of the writing was to try to incorporate effective use of repetition, line breaks, simile and white space in their composed pieces.
These young poets talked in groups and identified their targets for personification. They rehearsed their opening lines. They rechecked the list of craft moves available to them and then they set about writing t…

Compound Interest POEM

I cannot claim credit for thinking of this idea, but I have had a lot of fun making this poem using compound words. I have used the words to sing the praises of someone special in my life- my wife, Vicki. I invite you to try this simple, yet effective approach to writing poetry. It is a fine example of word play. In this case playing with compound words. Poetry fun to share...



Compound Interest
You are the jingle in my bells The tick in my tock The flash in my light The spring in my time The whirl in my wind The tell in my tale You are the ever in my lasting The ginger in my bread The life in my boat It has to be said








Idioms and Poetry -Name Dropper

The inspiration for this poem came from idioms. In this case, I used idioms involving people's names. My father's generation frequently used such idioms in everyday language. Clearly my exposure to such idiomatic language had an influence. It was fun to play around with these wonderful old terms. Hope you enjoy the word play...

Name Dropper
My Dad knows lots of people I reckon He often tells me Bob’s your uncle But I don’t know any Bob’s
He believes Scott is great He’s always saying Great Scott! He wants to rob Peter to pay Paul and I’m not sure why He thinks Fanny Adams is sweet And someone called Nelly is nervous Last week he told me to run like Billy O How does Billy O run? That’s what I want to know
Dad does a lot of things for a fellow called Pete Sake And he thinks Alec is smart because he’s always saying What a smart Alec he is He thinks Ann is raggedy And Simon is simple Freddie is blind But even he can see Which I find a bit confusing
And somehow Johnny is on the spot And Jack is in a box May…