Skip to main content

Image Poem

Image Poem

This poem owes its existence to Georgia Heard's idea of the six room image poem where six elements are addressed in the writing that follows:

Image
Light
Sound
Questions
Feelings
Repetition

The challenge is to expand our vision of selected images by attending to each element when writing. The idea is to spend time considering each of the six elements by thinking about them as rooms we must enter in order to think more deeply about our word choice.


The Grandfather Clock

The Grandfather clock
Stood tall like a palace guard
Marking time in Nana's lounge-room
Against the wall
Avoiding the sunlight streaming through lace curtained windows
Tick-tocking as the pendulum swung in its unerring arc
Brass and chains and moving arms 
Encased behind a long glass face
The clock announced the passing of each hour
With blare and boom
The rowdy ringing out
Chased the silence from the room
Why so loud? the small ones asked
Why so tall? the small ones wondered
They kept their distance
Time moved on relentlessly
The Grandfather clock
Stood tall like a palace guard
Marking time in Nana's lounge-room



Comments

  1. This is an interesting way to view the makings of a poem, Alan. These lines stand out to me: The rowdy ringing out/Chased the silence from the room. Consider offering an image poem for my autumn gallery. I have a link at my PF post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Will think about joining your autumn gallery.

      Delete
  2. I have often used Georgia's six room poem to jump start my ideas, and I used it with my students, too. They came up with some amazing poetry after thinking through their subject with these. Your poem brings that old grandfather clock to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the scaffolding provided by Georgia quite supportive to my thought processes around the subject of the poem Kay. I will certainly use it with students to encourage some deeper thought around the writing of their poetry. Glad you liked the poem, it has always been a strong visual memory.

      Delete
  3. I like that clothes hanger of a poem-skeleton by Georgia and what you've done with it. But where is the mouse? Done in by hickory-dickory-dock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hickory-dickory-dock
      Two mice ran up a clock
      The clock struck one
      And the other one got away...

      That's my best interpretation Brenda.

      Delete
  4. I like it Alan. Will be trying out the six room plan today with year 4 students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Matt. Always good to hear about such positive endeavours. May the words flow freely...

      Delete
    2. Hi Alan, some of the students wanted to share their writing with you as we have been reading Searching for Hen's Teeth during our poetry session.

      https://sites.google.com/rowvilleps.vic.edu.au/creations4c/six-room-poetry

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the link Matt. I enjoyed the poems created by your budding poets. Well done all. Keep growing your poetry.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...