Skip to main content

Where's The Children's Poetry Section?



I have been wandering into bookshops in search of poetry for most of my adult life. As an educator, I acquire poetry books to better position myself to teach poetry. As a poet, I need poetry books to deepen my understanding of how poetry works. I am constantly searching for poetry’s vital spark. I am committed to this quest. Poetry is my writing oxygen.

But sadly in so many of my poetry searches I have come away empty handed and somewhat disillusioned. In the vast majority of bookshops  you will not find a designated section for children’s poetry. When poetry titles are offered, they are more than likely classic rhyming verse and frequently sitting among the general collection of picture books. 



Little wonder kids only think of poetry as something that rhymes. They develop a narrow interpretation of poetry because that is what they are being fed.  Rarely do you find contemporary content. The landscape is barren and degraded. A smattering of imported poetry books appear on occasions, but it is rare to find new local product, apart from an occasional anthology of selected verse curated by a lone flag bearer.

There is a paucity of poetry out there folks. Publishers appear to be risk averse. Even educational publishers tend to devote scant attention to children’s poetry. Bookshop shelves bulge with fantasy and dystopian titles. Endless offerings of ghouls, goblins, witches, fairies and zombies exist. Realistic fiction and poetry have been pushed quite consciously to the margins. Publishers maintain control over the reading diets of young readers. Our children deserve greater diversity in their reading. 




Various Verse Novels

So, even though poetry features in the Australian curriculum and is studied extensively in our schools, finding a selection of children’s poetry in bookstores is often a dispiriting experience.  Rare sightings suggest poetry has assumed a position akin to an endangered species.


Having taught poetry for many decades, I know kids enjoy it. I know they embrace it once they discover that poetry is accessible and user friendly. They enthusiastically read it, create it, and seek it out. It is a sad fact that poetry is badly served by adult prejudice and apprehension. Such notions feed the misguided belief that poetry is elitist, or inaccessible. Such notions result in poetry experiences that venture no further than haiku and acrostics, because sadly that is the limit of teacher comfort.

I have curated my personal collection of poetry books by means of diligent detective work across many years. A tireless search has been conducted in bookshops the world over. I have  sought to nourish my poet’s heart. Searching on-line has sometimes uncovered treasured poetry titles. I have unearthed gems in second hand book stores, and because I am known for my poetic proclivities, have frequently been alerted to, or gifted books by benefactors, bless them. 

My poet’s suitcase contains forensic evidence of my poetic gathering across the decades. Poetry sings to me from my bookshelves. I concur with the words of Rita Dove who said, ‘Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful.’ Reason enough to let it into my life.


Every time I visit a library -school or community, I rummage through the poetry titles hoping to unearth new books. Occasionally, I glean new possibilities, sometimes though, the titles on display indicate few new titles have been added for some considerable time. Poetry has fallen off the radar in such places.




As a poet I am speaking from a position of self-interest, but I am also advocating for the right of all those potential young poets out there who deserve to access poetry should they so desire. They deserve the option of selecting poetry books when they visit a book shop. 


So, I am urging all poetry lovers, young and not so young to ask the following questions when browsing in their local bookshop. ‘Excuse me, would you kindly tell me where the poetry section is located? And if they say, ‘There isn’t one’, ask them ‘How come?’ There’s no rhyme or reason why we can’t effect some poetic justice.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e