Skip to main content

The Legend of The Spinach Gatherers -Poetry Friday




As a child I was told endless tale tales by adults. Tales of questionable feats and acts of daring-do. Sometimes these tales were designed to either scare me unnecessarily, or encourage some degree of modification in my behavior. I was told to watch out for elephants who enjoyed squashing badly behaved children and to be afraid of going near the creek because crocodiles lived there -when in fact nothing remotely life threatening lived in the local waterways.

 I further recall being told that green jelly was made from cow's hooves and that swallowing chewing gum could kill you. It would stick to your heart and you would die! It's amazing how such nonsensical stories stay with you. Well, I'm not too sure what the inspiration for this piece of contrived nonsense actually was, apart from a desire to have a bit of fun. 

You might consider some of the slightly doubtful things adults told you in order to get you to cooperate, or merely to scare you into complying with their wishes. Maybe, you could write your own version of events as an alternative poetic legend...

Anyway, it was a hoot to write. These days whenever I eat spinach I chuckle inwardly, entertained by wicked thoughts of spinach gatherers.

Let's not forget- Poets need to have a laugh...



Where Spinach Comes From
         
Not many people are aware of this,
 -spinach grows between the toes
of huge green witches
who live in far away Greenland

Courageous spinach gatherers
wander endlessly in search of these wild witchy women
Who lurk in the remotest mountains

The intrepid spinach gatherers creep cautiously
Sneaking across the snow
Tiptoeing over ice flows
Patiently waiting for the huge green witches 
to nod off to sleep

Snoring is the signal
The moment when the fearless spinach gatherers
unsheathe their trusty shears
and begin clipping and shaving
Clipping and shaving
The toes of those smelly green witches

-And that’s where spinach comes from.
Not many people are aware of that
      
Just thought I’d share that information with you



Alan j Wright


My impression of a spinach gatherer

Comments

  1. Eeeurgh! I love spinach!! Hoping I can forget your poem, real quick! ;) Funny you should post about these sorts of things, because I grew up with the Burnett Bunyip and was reflecting on that for a poem earlier in the week. But in writing that, I was also remembering the stories my dad was told as a lad, about the dip bunyip - who preyed on children who strayed too close to the cattle dip...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy spinach Kat. I use it in so many meals, salads, so I try not to think too much about its possible origins. I like your Dad's story regarding the dip bunyip. Our parents are responsible for a lot of unnecessary childhood trauma. It's surprising how well we turned out...

      Delete
  2. I love spinach too, but don't want to forget your poem, it's such fun–still smiling from it. What a wonderful escape you've penned for us. (from all the horrible shenanigans of our US President). I think it would be good as a picture book, and the brave "spinach gatherer" art fits so well–love it, thanks Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything Michelle, to help distract from the antics of he who shall not be named. You have given me food for thought regarding the potential of this piece as a picture story book. My mind has been speculating on how I would modify and expand the premise. Thanks for the spark. Glad you liked my gatherer illustration too. I don't do too much in this area. I'm far more comfortable with words than pictures, but i had fun with this one...

      Delete
  3. What a hoot, Alan! Your poem was one that middle school children would totally enjoy. I wonder what other bizarre tales you can conjure up for us that delight our senses and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. There's a book of poems I have in my collection titled, 'My Mind Is Full Of Horrid Things.' I might have to fish it out and see what it inspires.

      Delete
  4. Love the sketch of those intrepid gatherers. I may never eat spinach without remembering, Alan. I do remember some stories like eyes will stay staring if one stares too much, eyes injured watching too much tv, but a friend who is Norwegian has told me the scariest that she said she was told about gnomes ready to kidnap children if they went out in the dark. To this day she claims that she's a bit leary of the dark. Love that snoring part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the sketch. It is rare for me to share my drawings. I am very much a novice, but it is important to remain brave. There seems to be a lot of superstitions and myths regarding eyes- and across various cultures too. I think of the evil eye ornaments in Europe. We were warned our eyes would go square from protracted viewing of the television. That was a favourite of my Dad's.

      Delete
  5. Too funny! I will be thinking about the spinach gatherers every time I eat spinach! When I was a little girl, my grandmother always told me swallowing gum caused intestinal blockages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the old swallow the chewing gum myth Carol. So many of us were were told this little piece of nonsense. One version was that it would stick to your heart and you would die. No regard to the anatomical inaccuracy of that statement, but it certainly scared us. Glad you had a laugh. Long live the spinach gatherers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e