Skip to main content

Poems of Presence Project


Poems of Presence




So, here are my poems of presence. Without a doubt they sustained and spurred me on through the entire month of May. I chose to think of the Pandemic lockdown as solitude, rather than isolation. I clung to a strong desire to be creative, devoting time to appreciating family, cooking, reading, writing and rummaging through my assorted treasures. 

Poems of Presence became a writing project among other writing projects. Short poems demanding thought, reflection and close observation of my immediate world...


I am sharing my poems here and also submitting them to the Dear Australia project being conducted by Australia Post. The project aims to curate the collective actions and thoughts of Australians during the Covid 19 Pandemic. They will be archived for historical consideration in years to come.
























*
The air is still
Behind the headland.
The backstreets
I walk to avoid
Dazed dawdlers
Wanton wanderers
Offers up
A lone crow cawing.
I press on in my splendid
Isolation.

*
The rain,
soft, constant
Limits outdoor
possibilities
The greyness
a blanket
Tossed over the morning
Moves me away from
the window.

*
All the worlds I live in
All the worlds I see
Won’t fit into one mouthful
When words spill out of me
Sometimes they’re words of fire
That emerge with spark and flame
Sometimes they’re gentle whispers
My worlds are not the same.

*
My suspicions
grow by the day for...
Door handles,
Cash,
And populist politicians.
They are my push button issues
To be avoided like,
Like...
-the plague!

*

The push for easing lockdowns
Slowly gathers speed
I'm in no rush
To join the crush
I'll sit this out and dream.
Scotty's song won't keep us safe
I see no need to hasten
I'll watch it from the ramparts
This charge from isolation.

*
In the midst
Of these days
And fluctuating global fortune
I must settle my mind
Into the long journey
Moving with the change
Not railing against it.
The selfless care from others           
Offered without strings
Their thoughtful gestures
Move my thoughts
Well beyond the shadows.

*
In the journey
From birth to death
We travel the road
Of a thousand challenges.
From that necessity
A fearlessness grows.
We must be daring
And hold to the truth,
Be undaunted
Even courageous at times.

*
I sit beside the window
Gazing upon
the slow motion
Garden transformations.
I ponder the lovesick rejection
Of my former relationship
With the world.
Maybe today
An invasion of butterflies
Maybe the sound of an eyelash
Crashing to the floor
Maybe...

*
While presently possessing
 the social mobility
Of a garden gnome
I am content to mine
The sweet content of my days
Far from the madness of crowds
With morning birdsong
And in the background
Lucinda Williams pleading
For passionate kisses

*
How fortunate is the person
Who gets to wander slowly
Through a garden
And chance upon
A late blooming
Passion fruit flower
Beauty undimmed
By its late arrival.

*
An outing
A trip,
A journey, not far
But one
That required
The use of a car.
No exotic locale
No view of the sea
We purchased fresh veggies
Then home we did flee.

*
Where have all the walkers gone?
Long-time passing
Those fair weather footsloggers
The joggers
The footpath cloggers
Have they exorcised their demons?
Have they been released
Was it just a fad
And now the walking's ceased?

*
Delving into old notebooks
Rereading rusted entries
As I wander the shoreline of my experience
Words, both worthy and worn out
Spring forth to be re-examined
They sharpen my awareness
Arousing further pondering.

*
As I wandered watchfully
Down Main Street
After two months
Of self-imposed solitude
I began to regret
Not following through
With my lockdown project
And designing an echidna suit.

*
A trip to Mt. Eliza
Equipped with sanitizer
The trepidation lingers
In inebriated fingers.

*
Saturday morning smirr
Greets me
As I step into the day
Gentle mist
Gossamer light
I pick up the newspaper
Lying in my driveway
Wrapped tightly in its plastic
Raincoat.

*
As I wandered watchfully
Down Main Street
After two months
Of self-imposed solitude
I began to regret
Not following through
With my lockdown project
And designing an echidna suit.

*
We need leaders
Not needers
We need makers
Not breakers
At this time
A measure of our will,
Our resolve,
Is to remain still
Breathe in
Breathe out
And take a slow, look around.

*
I must push through
These hard days
of composition
And tie the words together
No one appreciates
A half written poem
A bird almost flying
And who sets their destination
at the half-way point
on the escalator?

*
I hold no wish
For a heavy heart
I must nourish my thoughts with hope and humour
I must feed it with a belief
That we will emerge wiser
Stronger
From these days.

*
The bells await the arrival of a breeze
A breeze moving gently through the garden
Summoning them to share
Their soothing chimes
Love is in the air
The instant they sing.

*
We’re travelling down
A bumpy road
And no one’s carrying gold
We need the shelter of our homes
Take heed of what we’re told.

*
To walk the in the garden Early in the day
Before the sun
Makes its entrance
Delivers delight
To the wide eyed wanderer
The smells of the earth rise up through the shrubbery
The last of the evening dew
Hangs grimly to grateful leaves
The scent of lemon blossom lingers in the air
As the small creatures emerge from hideouts, resting places and lairs
Bugs, beetles, butterflies.

*
Loss is not always sudden,
Or spectacular.
Sometimes it erodes the very edges of your spirit,
Across the years
Creeping incessantly like rust across a tin roof
Movement barely perceptible,
Yet keenly felt.

*
We must not forget
That landscape of cinders and smoke
That palette of orange, black and grey
That astounding summer of devastation
And that hideous wind that came bearing an inferno under its arm
Erasing life and lifetimes
Shredding hopes and dreams.
We must not forget.


All Poems by Alan j Wright



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your poems of presence here, like a diary in verse. Each day brings about insights and noticings. There is a peace about them, even though some are sad and touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret for your kind remarks. A range of emotions flooded over all of us in these recent times. The aim is to both recognize this and then attempt to preserve a little of it.

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is quite a collection of poems. I really like the one about words, & worlds, and also the poem about the joggers, and the a trip to town to buy veggies. Thank you so much for sharing. You have proven there is a lot of inspiration in everyday life! ( Carol from The Apples in my Orchard).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. Even in these challenging days humour snuggles it way in and deserves a place at the table. Indeed you are right, inspiration is close at hand a lot of the time.

      Delete
  3. What a collection, Allan. I think my favourite chunk was;
    While presently possessing
    the social mobility
    Of a garden gnome

    To walk in the garden Early in the day - so lovely.
    And those inebriated fingers.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat. I always appreciate your observations and comments. The garden, though small was a refuge and a revelation.

      Delete
  4. I remember some and enjoyed your voice in them all, Alan. I love the one that references the escalator! What a month with words that carried us onward, to the top of that escalator. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Escalator proved to be a good analogy when I began to consider the notion of a journey. I also love where you have taken it (pardon the pun) . We displayed our 'stickability.'

      Delete
  5. An insightful diary of a mindful journey, Alan. I'm glad it will be archived and remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Michelle. Your comment is much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Wow--these are wonderful. I especially love the one beginning, "All the worlds I live in..." A fabulous record of your month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. Your comments mean a lot. I must admit I too harbour a soft spot for the poem you mentioned.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e