Skip to main content

Let The Wordplay Begin!


Mood means a lot to a poet. It influences the very words they write. Sometimes my mood is reflective and serious, Sometimes I write out of frustration and disappointment. 

Today though, my mood is clearly playful as you will see in these new poems I am about to share with you. I am feeling word playful. I am particularly pleased that they have emerged at a time when the world is facing a challenge. Let me explain...

Some of my writing during this time has addressed these matters, but I also believe we need a dash of fun and optimism too. It lightens the mood. It feeds the human spirit. I believe this is vitally important. There are already too many gloomsters out there. I choose not to be one of them. Simple as that.

For as long as I can recall I have enjoyed playing around with words and meanings. I am constantly wanting to have fun with language. I want to reshape it and make it do my bidding as a writer. It is a trait I keenly embrace. I love it so much, I practice even when I'm not actually writing. My family are survivors of my word play antics. 

If you love words, I encourage you to have a bit of fun. Young, or not so young, you can happily play with words. Their sound, their spelling, their meanings are all up for re-imagining!


Oh I Do Wunder

Why isn’t wand written as wond?

Don’t get me started

I can go way beyond

What’s the go with wander and wonder

I mean,

-during a storm 

I don’t listen for thonder

All of this word worry

-It really makes me wunder...

©Alan j Wright


We’re Out of Whack

The whole world is out of whack

Said dear Auntie Sybil

Mark my words, she added

I just sat next to Uncle Terry

Who said absolutely nothing,

As usual.

He just took another sip of tea.

So, I thought about Auntie Sybil’s words…

Why is the world out of whack?

How much whack did the world have in the first place?

And where did all the whack go?

Was it eaten?

Was the whack wasted?

Was it stolen by whack thieves

-and sold for a fortune on the whack market?

Then Dad  spoke up and said, 

Yes, we are definitely out of kilter


-And my head began to spin.

 ©Alan j Wright

*This week, Poetry Friday is being hosted by Jama Rattigan at  Jama's Alphabet Soup

Please visit  Jama's blog and discover what poetry treat she is sharing along with a host of other poets from all around the globe!













Comments

  1. Your wordplay is a delight, Alan. I am so glad you are not one of the "gloomsters". Have you seen this Graham Norton clip featuring Michael McIntyre's word play? 4 minutes of hilarity about words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEqXJRK4Q4
    I hope you enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bridget, And thank you also for the link to Michael McIntyre, whose humour and take on life I enjoy immensely. I'm sure I will enjoy it,

      Delete
  2. Totally agree. We definitely need fun, wordplay, and uplifting poems, especially now. Thanks for sharing these, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're on side Jama. Not that I doubted you. Optimism is critical to our well being and for those around us.

      Delete
  3. My favorite is being out of whack and out of kilter. (Also out of joint, out of control, and out of our minds!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Yes, we have a number of equally suitable terms for being off centre. Idiomatic language is ever intriguing.

      Delete
  4. Your word play has brought a smile to my face. Thank you, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles are a most pleasing outcome Kimberly. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Such fun! I love wondering where the whack went. And the ending is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the alliteration of 'where the whack went.' Glad you appreciated the ending Tabatha.

      Delete
  6. I love your whacky world of word play, Alan. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, such encouragement. A spur too enticing to resist. Thank you for your support for my wordplay efforts.

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes, your wordplay is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your word play in Wonder!! Especially "during a storm I don't listen for thonder, and it makes me wunder!" There was an entire paragraph when I was teaching that included so many of the non-matching spellings. Always an interesting proposition and explaining these "exceptions" when teaching spelling.
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased by the reaction to word play fun Janet. Spelling exceptions are a constant conundrum as you note. We continue to ponder these seeming inconsistencies in the English language. They keep us our toes as writers.

      Delete
  9. I think I should bookmark this post, Alan. I tend to be too serious & most recently, so worried about the state of our country that it colors my writing. Maybe it's time to take a "wunder" among some other words that make me smile, as yours have. Your "out of whack" & "out of kilter" reminded me of a fun thing I read a long while ago. A little boy asked when his dad was coming home. His mother replied that he's been "held up" at work. Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too lament for the current situation you're all facing Linda. Voting is all the more important this time. It is therefore not too surprising that word play and frivolousness is not so much to the fore at present. I love your anecdote regarding the term 'held up.' These idiomatic terms have a way of inserting themselves into our day to day lives in ways that invite a laugh. Blue skies ahead hopefully.

      Delete
  10. This is much needed. Wonder had me laughing. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jone. Glad it brought a laugh out. Laughing is good for us...

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Smiles are good Mary Lee. It's an outcome that makes me... smile.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for noticing this little bit of wacky indulgence Heidi. Almost qualifies as a Dad joke...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...