Skip to main content

Let The Wordplay Begin!


Mood means a lot to a poet. It influences the very words they write. Sometimes my mood is reflective and serious, Sometimes I write out of frustration and disappointment. 

Today though, my mood is clearly playful as you will see in these new poems I am about to share with you. I am feeling word playful. I am particularly pleased that they have emerged at a time when the world is facing a challenge. Let me explain...

Some of my writing during this time has addressed these matters, but I also believe we need a dash of fun and optimism too. It lightens the mood. It feeds the human spirit. I believe this is vitally important. There are already too many gloomsters out there. I choose not to be one of them. Simple as that.

For as long as I can recall I have enjoyed playing around with words and meanings. I am constantly wanting to have fun with language. I want to reshape it and make it do my bidding as a writer. It is a trait I keenly embrace. I love it so much, I practice even when I'm not actually writing. My family are survivors of my word play antics. 

If you love words, I encourage you to have a bit of fun. Young, or not so young, you can happily play with words. Their sound, their spelling, their meanings are all up for re-imagining!


Oh I Do Wunder

Why isn’t wand written as wond?

Don’t get me started

I can go way beyond

What’s the go with wander and wonder

I mean,

-during a storm 

I don’t listen for thonder

All of this word worry

-It really makes me wunder...

©Alan j Wright


We’re Out of Whack

The whole world is out of whack

Said dear Auntie Sybil

Mark my words, she added

I just sat next to Uncle Terry

Who said absolutely nothing,

As usual.

He just took another sip of tea.

So, I thought about Auntie Sybil’s words…

Why is the world out of whack?

How much whack did the world have in the first place?

And where did all the whack go?

Was it eaten?

Was the whack wasted?

Was it stolen by whack thieves

-and sold for a fortune on the whack market?

Then Dad  spoke up and said, 

Yes, we are definitely out of kilter


-And my head began to spin.

 ©Alan j Wright

*This week, Poetry Friday is being hosted by Jama Rattigan at  Jama's Alphabet Soup

Please visit  Jama's blog and discover what poetry treat she is sharing along with a host of other poets from all around the globe!













Comments

  1. Your wordplay is a delight, Alan. I am so glad you are not one of the "gloomsters". Have you seen this Graham Norton clip featuring Michael McIntyre's word play? 4 minutes of hilarity about words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEqXJRK4Q4
    I hope you enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bridget, And thank you also for the link to Michael McIntyre, whose humour and take on life I enjoy immensely. I'm sure I will enjoy it,

      Delete
  2. Totally agree. We definitely need fun, wordplay, and uplifting poems, especially now. Thanks for sharing these, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're on side Jama. Not that I doubted you. Optimism is critical to our well being and for those around us.

      Delete
  3. My favorite is being out of whack and out of kilter. (Also out of joint, out of control, and out of our minds!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Yes, we have a number of equally suitable terms for being off centre. Idiomatic language is ever intriguing.

      Delete
  4. Your word play has brought a smile to my face. Thank you, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles are a most pleasing outcome Kimberly. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Such fun! I love wondering where the whack went. And the ending is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the alliteration of 'where the whack went.' Glad you appreciated the ending Tabatha.

      Delete
  6. I love your whacky world of word play, Alan. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, such encouragement. A spur too enticing to resist. Thank you for your support for my wordplay efforts.

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes, your wordplay is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your word play in Wonder!! Especially "during a storm I don't listen for thonder, and it makes me wunder!" There was an entire paragraph when I was teaching that included so many of the non-matching spellings. Always an interesting proposition and explaining these "exceptions" when teaching spelling.
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased by the reaction to word play fun Janet. Spelling exceptions are a constant conundrum as you note. We continue to ponder these seeming inconsistencies in the English language. They keep us our toes as writers.

      Delete
  9. I think I should bookmark this post, Alan. I tend to be too serious & most recently, so worried about the state of our country that it colors my writing. Maybe it's time to take a "wunder" among some other words that make me smile, as yours have. Your "out of whack" & "out of kilter" reminded me of a fun thing I read a long while ago. A little boy asked when his dad was coming home. His mother replied that he's been "held up" at work. Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too lament for the current situation you're all facing Linda. Voting is all the more important this time. It is therefore not too surprising that word play and frivolousness is not so much to the fore at present. I love your anecdote regarding the term 'held up.' These idiomatic terms have a way of inserting themselves into our day to day lives in ways that invite a laugh. Blue skies ahead hopefully.

      Delete
  10. This is much needed. Wonder had me laughing. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jone. Glad it brought a laugh out. Laughing is good for us...

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Smiles are good Mary Lee. It's an outcome that makes me... smile.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for noticing this little bit of wacky indulgence Heidi. Almost qualifies as a Dad joke...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e