Skip to main content

Heard Around The House -A List Poem


In this post I am sharing a poem that focuses on the sense of sound. For the last few days I have wandered into different rooms of our house, at different times of the day. I consciously sat still and listened to the sounds around me. I recorded them in my notebook. In writing my poem I took those notes and shuffled, shaved, chopped and polished them in order to achieve my desired line order. You might consider finding an alternative quiet place for yourself-a park, a garden or green space, a riverbank, a  valley, a shoreline and sit undisturbed for a while and listen...

 It is often said ideas surround us and if we sit still for a while they will reveal themselves. My poem is quite obviously a list poem but it is also an exercise of observance. Poets need to invoke the senses, either individually, or in concert. It sharpens your observational skills. Hope you enjoy the 'sound' of my poem...

Heard Around The House

Sit still,

Listen,

Can you hear them?

The sharp slapping of blinds against the skin of an open window

The soft pitter-patter of possum feet along the fence top near midnight

The intermittent scratching of the back wall by wind bullied bushes

The unrelenting growl of distant lawnmowers

The raucous chorus of morning crow calls

The rising scream of an agitated kettle

The soft swish of curtains caressed by an afternoon breeze

The considered slicing of various vegetables in preparation for oven roasting

The thrum of fan blades slicing through the afternoon warmth

The mournful cooing of Indian doves hidden in garden greenery

The sharp click-clacking of shoes across the kitchen floor

The irritating beep of the partially closed refrigerator door

The blattering raindrops smashing against the Colourbond roof

The defiant clatter of the back gate as it resists closing

The low, calculating hum of the computer

The subtle click of the front door closing on the outside world

The sombre snuffles of the dog close to dawn’s edge

The fizz of the television as its fades to black under remote control

The exuberant collision of voice floating in from the snicket

The recurring sounds of the house rise up to remind me of their various voices.

©Alan  j Wright


It's Poetry Friday and this week our kindly host is Susan Bruck at Soul Blossom Living. Visit Susan to discover some forthcoming poetry projects. There are also links to a host of other poetic possibilities...



Comments

  1. This is fun! It made me immediately tune into the sounds I am hearing right now and would be a great poem to try. I had a few favorite lines:

    The soft pitter-patter of possum feet along the fence top near midnight

    The unrelenting growl of distant lawnmowers

    And oh the word choice: clatter, click-clacking, cooing!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, 'sounds' like you got it! So pleased you heard my words. I think the sharp focus on sounds assisted my writing. The purpose was clear from the start. i was also conscious of my verb choice wanting to individualize the sounds I heard.

      Delete
  2. It also seems you've captured the day itself through sound, from "fan blades slicing" to "blattering raindrops smashing". My neighborhood recently appears to be in line with the air traffic so right now I'm listening to a plane flying over & I'm jealous! Lovely to capture all these sounds, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sounds did transcended my day Linda. I too have been listening to planes fly over. My granddaughter points to the sky acknowledging the loud droning sounds come and go. Thank you for your kind response.

      Delete
  3. Love this list, Alan, and especially your vocabulary! The wind has shrieked here all day, plus we had a high piercing tone which we couldn't locate, sounded electronic, but went away when the toilet was flushed. You can't make this stuff up. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. The vocabulary choices are particularly important and none more so than in a list poem where succinct word use is a critical component. The sounds surrounding our day can be comforting, confronting and compelling. They also have the capacity to deliver some mystery as to their origins. Sounds are worthy of our attention and investigation.

      Delete
  4. I could hear all those sounds as I read! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. For me there's a quiet satisfaction in the fact you heard those sounds.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed all these sounds from throughout the day around the house--so many good lines brought the sounds straight to my ears. Right now I"m hearing the wind swoosh around the gables and the wind chimes pealing a loud chorus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my gathering of house sounds Kay. It's amazing how the very mention of sounds make us more acutely aware of the sounds presenting in our immediate surrounds.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e