Skip to main content

Poems Prompted By Events & Memories

 Across  the course of our lives we can expect many significant moments. Some directly impact our lives, while others happen on the world stage and impact indirectly. Sometimes, we recall exactly where we were and what we were doing at a precise moment in time. Our recall often remains crystal clear on these events and not others.  It is amazing the memories we retain. We often hear the question -where were you when...? 

This poem is a narrative poem in a docu-poetry style.  It forms part of a collection of anthology of poems I am writing celebrating events that occurred during my fortunate teenage years growing up in the semi rural town of Monbulk situated in the Dandenong Ranges approximately 60 kilometres from the city of Melbourne. This poem contains  a sense of history and nostalgia. Reference has also been to certain items which with the passing of year have become obsolete.

 You will note a few Australian references have been included.  Hope my poem prompts your memory regarding events significant to you, wherever you are in this big, wide world.








If There’s Anything That You Want

The school bus

Makes its final afternoon stop

Outside the Mechanics Institute

Everyone bar the bus-driver

Clambered off

Most headed home

Me and Splinter

Decide on a Milk Bar visit

Before the short homeward bound walk

Change  jingles in our pockets

We hear the call of confectionary

Chocolate bullets

Eight-a- penny

Sixpence hits the counter

And Mr Taylor fills a white paper bag

With sweet, sugary sustenance

For each of us…

 

That’s when it hits

Music rises up

From the recently installed jukebox

A song fills the shop

Rousing

Something dazzling and harmonically appealing

I find myself jump started

It is hard not to wonder

The lyrics, simple, clear

The music effortless

Floating into my ears

Haunting me

And from a different place

Fresh new sounds

Ring out falsetto trills

Repeating lyrics

With love from me to you

These voices sing.


Splinter beside me

We walk to the jukebox

Investigating with intent...


-The Beatles

From Me To You


And in that brief moment of discovery

our teenage lives

-and our collective musical history

Is forever changed

By a chance encounter

At Taylor’s Milk Bar.


©Alan j Wright




















It is once again, Poetry Friday. Our host this week is Mary Lee Hahn. Mary Lee shares a villanelle poem among other matters poetic. Visit Mary Lee for ideas and access to a host of other poetry pages.



Comments

  1. Oh, how fun. So specific and yet--universal. Music can do that for us. And, candy can too! You've stirred some memories for me of choosing candy at the counter. I just may have to write about that.
    I love the nickname Splinter, the paper bag full of sustenance and the way we know that this was in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on Linda. While there is a specificity to the experience, the theme is universal. The sudden realization that something quite special has taken place. The nickname, Splinter, my younger friend came from the fact that he was the youngest of four siblings and his father just happened to own a Timber and Hardware business. The poem is without a doubt nostalgic with references to things no longer in common use, but it also documents a small piece of history. Thanks for you response.

      Delete
  2. What a moment! There are songs that take me straight back to childhood, but I don't think a song ever shifted my life the way this one did yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a moment Mary Lee and that is no doubt why I recall it so clearly. For me music has been a strong life thread. Splinter became an accomplished singer/guitarist and I occasionally got to perform with his band. He used to do a fantastic rendition of the Beatles, 'Rocky Raccoon.' Such musical influences for both of us.

      Delete
  3. Alan, what a great post and one of those moments in history poems. Yes, indeed, it does bring images to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I'm glad my somewhat nostalgic and historic words conjured up images.

      Delete
  4. I've shown pictures of jukeboxes to my granddaughters who don't quite understand the excitement of them, with their phones & Spotify so easily accessed! Love this 'turning', a sweet memory of after school stuff, then the profound discovery for you, "forever changes/by a chance encounter".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The path of music across the decades has brought incredible changes to how we access the sounds we wish to hear Linda. Thank you for your response. As you point out, a routine in our day, suddenly transitioned into a memorable moment. Isn't that the way it goes sometimes?

      Delete
  5. We used different coin (and language, actually) - but those bags of lollies at the corner store will always be a favourite childhood memory for me. We'd be visiting my grandparents, and it was a walk (or ride) around the block. (But watch out for the chihuahuas if you took the short way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kat, a child of the decimal age...The bag of lollies was a universal rite of passage we do share though. Negotiating the neighbourhood was always an interesting challenge when we were young. Avoiding chihuahuas and other monstrous beasts- human and otherwise required strategic planning.

      Delete
  6. I LOVED jukeboxes. There was one at the pizza place of my childhood, and it was so much fun to listen to songs while you waited the eternity it took for your pizza to be ready. I'm going to send your poem to my dad, who was probably struck by the Beatles as much as you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jukeboxes were joyful containers Tabatha. No doubt about that. So pleased my poem is going on a further journey. Hope your dad enjoys the moment- 'Oh I get by with a little help from my friends...'

      Delete
  7. Thanks for capturing the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome Ruth. Moments need to be savoured.

      Delete
  8. What a vivid scene you've painted for us! Enticing our senses with the description of sweets and the sound of the music. Thanks for sharing this memory with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Elisabeth. I'm pleased my words prompted a response. Sweets and senses indeed.

      Delete
  9. This poem has me longing for the candy of my youth, Bit-O-Honey. And swoon, The Beatles. I am there hearing the music. I love the name of your friend, Splinter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me on this nostalgic journey Jone. Splinter's Nick name is a cracker!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e