Skip to main content

Ruminating On Rooms -Poetry of Place

 

Ruminating on Rooms

I am once more returning to poetry of place. But this time I am thinking of more specific places. This time my focus is on rooms. For the purposes of this exercise, you could take yourself into a room you know well, possibly a favourite room in your house, or a parents/grandparent’s house. 

You might also consider a room from your past in which you spent some time. A room where a significant event took place might prove to be a worthy focus for your words.

Equally, it may be a room that clearly stands out in your memory for its unique qualities, even though you spent only a brief time there.

It is even possible to create a room from your imagination. The aim is to paint the scene in that room using words. Still life for the artist with a palette of different colours. Still life for the poet with a word palette.

It might prove helpful to sit still in the room of your choice and ponder its features and qualities. Be still, listen and observe.

Please come with me now to the room of my choosing. A room I only visited once, but significant, nonetheless.

Make room for your own ruminations…


 






We sat, my friend and I

in the over warm ante room

behind double-glazed windows

scanning the view

in search of some hint of imagination

-anywhere at all

we sat in gloomy, wavering light

waiting

for

the

host

to

return.

 

the air around us

shrouded in mustiness

the fabric of the armchairs

in which we sat, uncomfortably,

resentful of our disturbance of the peace.

 

a clock on the crowded mantelpiece

resounded with deep, measured ticking

and disproportionate loudness,

while the carpet and the wallpaper

competed for our attention


the hands of the clock

the only evidence

change had occurred 

in this room, dedicated to stillness

for what appeared to be

some significant number of years

tick...

 

©Alan j Wright







It just happens to be Poetry Friday, and this week our host is Margaret Simon at Reflections On The Teche. Margaret is sharing her participation in a progressive poem as well as a fine list of literrary inspirations. Please visit tto discover more...

Comments

  1. Alan, I never heard the title poetry of place but after reading your poem, I can see why it is called by that name. You carefully lured us into the place and took us on a mini-tour of the place of stillness. The last word in the poem was the only sound. Thank you for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry of Place is a term I started using a few years back to encompass poems to do with settings, Carol. I have looked at various geographical setting since that time. On this occasion, I have chosen a more specific location for the poem. You have prompted me to go back and look at the previous posts and maybe put together a collection of poems under that banner. I am glad you enjoy the reading experience.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I'm there. And I'm mighty uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're there, Laura - and not too surprised that you feel somewhat uncomfortable.

      Delete
  3. I've been in rooms like this, where the past accumulates and is meaningless and appears stodgy to visitors, especially young ones. I once took my son to a room like this for piano lessons years ago. Interesting to call this poetry of place. It's a good prompt, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your turn of phrase, Janice. Rooms like that do accumulate the past. In fact, it often overwhelms the space. Glad you like the notion of 'Poetry of Place.' I have now posted quite a few poems under that heading, so for me, it is probably a thing.

      Delete
  4. Tick.
    Very clever. I was taken to this room by your artful rendering. Thank you Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. Have a look around, but don't linger too long. The stillness might prove stifling.

      Delete
  5. ooooooh, the only evidence of movement...that clock. I want to know more. Wonderful study on place. You give me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my words spark ideas, then everything is fine, Linda. Your response is most gratifying.

      Delete
  6. really love "in this room, dedicated to stillness" and the echo back to your title

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia. The stillness of the room was palpable. Thank you for noting this.

      Delete
  7. I was there in a great-grandmother's parlor, "while the carpet and the wallpaper/competed for our attention" and I was not allowed to touch one thing. Yes, I've been in a few rooms similar, Alan. You've lured us in to visit, thankfully for a brief time. But don't think I didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it pleases me to learn of your strong, personal connection arising from reading my poem. As children, we were struck by the formality of these spaces, no doubt about it. So pleased my words prompted this recollection.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e