Skip to main content

Topogram Poems

 Topogram Poems, also referred to as Topography poems, are characterized by their description of a particular landscape. Elsewhere, they have been described loco-descriptive poems.

The form, established way back in 1642 by John Denham saw the publication of his poem, 'Cooper's Hill.'  These poems describe and frequently praise a landscape or location.

I would encourage poets of all ages (and experience) to spend time in natural locations in order to feel that essential spirit of place. Bring all your senses, a camera and a notebook with you and sit still for a while. Breathe in all the magic residing in that location.

I am aware of this theme of place exerting a strong influence on my poetry. I am frequently drawn to such writing; this poetry of place. Furthermore, I hear the words rising up to greet me whenever I sit still and look more closely at the wonder before my eyes. As writers, we strive to evoke the sense of joy derived from these natural settings.

I now share a couple of my own Topogram poems. Hope you enjoy these places...










Watching The Flow of the Creek

Sky blue curves

Ripple on the surface

Of the gently burbling stream.

It slides over stones

The water slightly silvered.

The thin shadows of winter trees

Gently fall across

The moving water’s surface

Undulating like plucked strings.

The melody of the moving stream

Sounding sweeter,

So suitably swelled.

© Alan j Wright


Exploring The Old Quarry

 
I stand among towering ferns
Looking up at the exposed rock walls
Moist, mouldy, dank
This gouged, scarred interface.
 
Rock and greenery prevail
In this foreboding, shadowy amphitheatre
Where a colossal presence presses in
On curious young intruders.
 
I tread carefully over rotting logs
So alive with small organisms
Thriving on the abundant feast of rot and decay
Fungi erupt in hard to ignore colours.
 
I speak to my friend Jake with a voice echoing
Within the fortress walls, imagining a time
When men mined the rock from this long, forgotten quarry
Here, where the forest has now assumed control.

© Alan j Wright









It is once more Poetry Friday. This week our host is Molly Hogan at Nix The Comfort Zone . Molly hones in on Sport, American style, sharing some poems that zero in on baseball. Check out Molly's post for a home run... 

Comments

  1. I'm a sucker for water poems, and this one has such delicious "s" sounds. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water poems are enticing, Irene. Thank you for your remarks. Glad you enjoyed my alliterative slices.

      Delete
  2. "Exploring the Old Quarry" describes my visit a few weeks ago to the Cuyahoga National Park "Where a colossal presence presses in/On curious young intruders." Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is often the case, when we read the words of others, we find ourselves prompted to recall a personal experience. Thanks for your comments, Patricia. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. "Exploring the Old Quarry" was something we used to do growing up, though the quarry behind my grandparents' house wasn't as lush as the one you describe. "Shadowy amphitheater" is such an evocative phrase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The explorative curiosity of youth is such a precious thing. It was such a joy to revisit that far off time. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, and I'm also pleased that it evoked memories.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for encouraging topogram poems, Alan. I am now thinking of several places I would like to put into words. Your poems are evocative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my efforts have inspired action then I am well pleased. Thank you for these kind remarks.

      Delete
  5. oooooooh! I want to play with this form. I think I have but not knowingly. I have some places that I love dearly. I love them SO dearly that it's difficult to take a step back to write about them. But, if I have a form to tie the place to, it might make a good way "in." Thank you! BTW, school is just starting for us. I have a LOT of new teachers to get to know. I will look around for a good class to communicate with. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, we frequently receive reminders, alerting us to the fact we are unconsciously skilled in a particular area. I suspect Topogram poems are bound up in this area. I look forward to your consciously informed discoveries. Attachment to a place is certainly a good way in. I am about to go travelling abroad for the first time since you know what took over the world, so I will be curious to see what words rise up to meet me in this place to which I am keen to return. I am 'tuned.' and curious...

      Delete
  6. I think you might call my poem for this week a topogram, written in appreciation for the Olentangy River. Thank you for the challenge to go out and sit/observe/photograph/write. I'll take you up on that this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, that river has such a memorable name. I can understand its attraction as a provocation for writing. I look forward to your further responses to the challenge.

      Delete
  7. Alan, I love these topogram poems, especially the first one. Like you, I'm often inspired by certain places in nature. I love this sentence from your introduction: "Furthermore, I hear the words rising up to greet me whenever I sit still and look more closely at the wonder before my eyes." Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. Glad you to find yourself inspired by nature's wonder. You have revealed it many times through your writing across the years.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed both of these, and appreciate the encouragement to spend some time letting the natural world inspire us.
    I especially liked the image you created with, "The moving water’s surface/Undulating like plucked strings." I could both feel and hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the topogram poem form Alan. I like both your poems and how you chose to space them, the more open spaced poem works well with the airy sky environment. I especially like all the descriptive grit-filled words in your quarry poem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e