Skip to main content

Travel Poems Vietnam Verse Part 2

 I am sharing another piece of verse emerging from my recent travel adventure in Vietnam. We were fortunate enough to spend a week in Hoi An, a UNESCO heritage city. It was our third visit to Hoi An. It is a city with an intoxicating charm.

 This special place also has much to motivate the writer within me. The daily produce market adjacent to the historic quarter of the city is a bustling space, rich with poetic potential. The market visitor needs to perfect the essential art of looking without betraying their potential retail intentions. Not an easy thing to do among such practiced observers.

On several mornings, I strolled through the market, prior to breakfast. My early morning walks provided valuable research for the words that emerged...



Hoi An Market 7.00 AM

In the steaminess

Surrounding Hoi An’s market

The palpable energy of local traders

Competing for buyers attention

Courses daily through this busy corner

Of the ancient city

Pungent aromas swirl about

Amid a rambling weave of voices

This uncoordinated orchestra 

Urges every passer-by to buy, buy, buy.


In every direction, 

Masses of merchandise and morning glory

Product overload

Seafood wriggling, jiggling

Uncomfortable cuts of meat

And sacrificial chickens

Juxtaposed with trinkets, trash and t-shirts

Baubles, beads and a bevy of bangles.


The marinating food offerings

Of hawkers moving through the market in conical hats

And sun sensitive attire

Trail lingering aromas of edible delights

Lugged through the long day.


A plethora of fresh fruit, ripe and ready

Vegetables various, and in profusion

Smelling, selling, cooking in woks and pots

And all the time the milling crowd wends it ways through this shared space

Eyes ever alert

Negotiating the constant intrusion of motorbikes, handcarts and bicycle riders

Looming up like suddenly like hazards in a stream

A realization dawns that this space holds for many

Fragile hopes and dreams

Survival and struggle cry out in every direction

The sun climbs by the hour

The air thickens and presses down like a yolk 

on the passage of this bake earth day.


In baskets and bowls

Morning glory begins to wilt

And the pleas of tired traders 

Grows a little louder

Inching closer to desperation

As the sun moves across the day. 

Alan j Wright










It is once more -Poetry Friday!

This week our generous host for all things poetic is Rose Capelli at Imagine The Possibilities . Rose shares a special birthday poem and presents possibilities for marking shared events and celebrations. Visit Rose for more insights and a chance to visit a myriad of poets from various parts of the world.



Comments

  1. I read your post with great interest. My brother was a soldier in Vietnam. What a hard time for that entire country and I would love to go there and see it, long past all that. Your photos and poem reminded me of a market I saw in China twenty years ago on a brief trip. Unusual offerings. The crowds. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vietnam is a country that conjures up a range of memories, no doubt about it. The present day Vietnam presents as a fascinating mix of culture, history, cuisine and geography. The people are most welcoming. I hope you get the chance to see it for yourself. I hope to return again next year to further explore its offerings and chip away at my ignorance. Glad you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  2. While it's lovely to read of all that you saw, bringing in the poignancy of desperation toward day's end makes a startling impact, Alan. Markets here are less noisy in the calls to buy but I was with students once in a poorer area of my state & I saw the eagerness of the vendors as the students roamed. "he pleas of tired traders

    Grows a little louder" says so much. I hope your trip was full of poetry everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your incisive comments Linda. Your observations are most welcome. As you say, my trip was very much informed by poetry. It is always something for which I remain most grateful.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this glimpse into the sights and sounds and smells of the busy market. What a special trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a very special trip, Rose. My third trip to this intriguing place. I am most fortunate to have these mind broadening experiences. I'm glad you enjoyed the sensory elements of my poem.

      Delete
  4. Alan, the crowd, the noise, the sights and smells are palpable in your poem as is the rising tension you have scripted. So many great phrases, but my favorite is "uncomfortable cuts of meat" - it both delights and disgusts. -lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you have reminded me of the broad canvas my poem was attempting to capture. The market is such an eclectic mix of sensory elements. I'm pleased you were able capture some of those elements from your reading of the poem. The sight of the meat presented in this way gave me a similar mix of feelings- hence the 'uncomfortable' terminology I suppose.

      Delete
  5. That last stanza...like a curve in the market path...brings me to a more complete picture...not quite in love with the market. But, I can't look away, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes what we are looking at is both confronting and compelling, Linda. I agree with you.

      Delete
  6. I encounter this kind of variety of scents as well as the desperation of the vendor in Africa. So different from our own experiences. Your poem weaves us into this experience and helps us see, hear, and smell what you did. What an amazing opportunity to travel and share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often it is this difference that intrigues us, Margaret. Our senses aroused we embrace this new experience. As you write, these are our amazing opportunities. We must embrace them.

      Delete
  7. Yes, yes, yes to all the comments above. So much to take in in this poem and that last stanza - wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia. Appreciate your enthusiastic response. The last stanza is my attempt to tie up the loose ends, so I'm glad you noticed it.

      Delete
  8. Alan, you captured for me the sights and sounds of a busy marketplace, as well as fragility and discomfort on an earth-baked day. I was taken midstream by your line, "Survival and struggle cry out in every direction". I would be fascinated by the goings on at the marketplace because I am voyeur of life. Thanks for the virtual trip to Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your considered response Carol. Like you, I believe our poetry requires us to be voyeurs of life- I really like your term. It pleases me to think of you as a reader feeling a sense of virtual reality when reading my poem.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e