Skip to main content

Short Cuts - Short Form Poetry

 Last week I shared a rather lengthy Rant poem. This week I am journeying to the opposite end of the poetry terrain and presenting some much shorter poems. Variety is good for us...

During my school days I loved athletics. I built a reputation as a sprinter. I could run run quickly over short distances, but longer forms of running such as cross country were very much a personal challenge. Maybe that's why I enjoy short poems so much...

When we write short poems they require a certain sharp focus. The writer has less time and words in which to deliver the desired outcome. The aim is to be pithy and engaging within a few lines and leave the reader both satisifed and surprised. 

So here are few examples of recent short form poems I have lifted from my notebooks and polished for readers to consider.  They quite unashamedly lean on wordplay and deal with totally unrleated subjects and have arisen arose organically in recent times. 

They currently sit in my poetry vault awaiting further consideration and possible assignment onto a broader stage. I urge every one to occasionally take a short cut and see what it leads to...

Hyenas Ha Hugly






They’re quite unattractive

There’s few creatures meaner

So I really do think

The laugh’s on the hyena.

Alan j Wright


Gratitude 

When the penniless farmer

Was gifted two books

By a friend

He responded with produce

Which was a turnip for the books.

Alan j Wright

Montecristo Island




there’s a three year wait

for approval

to visit

the island of Montecristo

where visitor numbers

are capped at one thousand

per year

a sanctuary for goats

they check those numbers carefully

i ponder the question-

is this the real count of Montecristo?

Alan j Wright








It is once more Poetry Friday and this time our gracious host is Catherine Flynn at Reading To The Core. Catherine rises to the challenge of writing a poem that answers an unasked question. Visit Catherine to learn more and find out what a host of poets are currently writing about.

Comments

  1. These all made me smile, and I especially liked the meaner/hyena attempt at rhyme. And paying for books with turnips is funny! I guess I'd have to be a farmer to try that at Barnes and Noble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles are good. I like that response. Barnes and Noble are not known for accepting turnips as legal tender, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. I'm especially enamored of Montecristo! Here's to short form! I will take your advice and comb my vault for possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Patricia, -here's to short form poetry! May you have success in your poetry vault searching for examples.

      Delete
  3. It feels like the only pics of hyenas are of those terrifying growls. Now I wonder if they'd like a new reputation but don't know how. Love the 'turnip' & 'count', Alan, poetry playtime! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true Linda, hyenas do need to take a chill pill. Their personality profile is not that great. So gald you enjoyed the poems shared here. Wishing you an equally grand weekend.

      Delete
  4. I love these! I'm sharing the hyena poem with my students. It's been a challenging year. We all need a giggle. Thanks, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Giggles are good. I have a poem about that hidden away somewhere... Hope my hyena behaves.

      Delete
  5. Oh, my friend, you are not writing poems (yes you are are); you are writing jokes! Thanks for the pithy giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are on the money with this assertion Heidi. My desire for humour is a strong inner push. I am an avowed joke teller afterall. Pithy giggles has a certain ring to it...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the fun shorties. :) Montecristo is my fave. Now I will have to contemplate my turnips. . . . ~ Jama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jama. Montecristo did give me a chuckle as I was writing it, I must admit.

      Delete
  7. I'm groaning at the punchlines -- especially the hyena and the Monte Cristo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bit like Dad jokes, Mary Lee. My cousin refers to me as the painful punster. It can't be high art all the times, now can it?

      Delete
  8. I love the turnip poem especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Jone posting.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jone. The wordplay opportunity easily won me over when it came to the Turnip Poem.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all the grins Alan, love those turnip books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for turning up for the turnips, Michelle. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  10. So clever! I especially like the Montecristo poem. Thank you for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e