Skip to main content

Reflections On The Art of Poetry

While away in Bali recently, I had time to write quite a lot of new poetry.

A couple of the poems that emerged in my notebook clearly fell into the category of 'ars poetica.' This term trranlates to 'The art of poetry.'

Such poems examine the role of poets themselves as subjects, revealing their relationship to poetry, and the very act of writing.

This type of poem goes all the way back to Horace who actually called his poem 'Ars Poetica.' It was written between 20Bc and !3 BC and outlined the principles of poetry as he saw it. Horace was both a poet and a critic.

'To write about poetry is to believe that there are answers to some of the questions poets ask of their art, or at least that there are reasons for writing it,' 

Michael Weigers

 Our respective processes as poets are worthy of consideration. They often prove to be quite revealing. We can find commonality and uniqueness from such investigations. So, here are the poems for you to consider.








Wish You Were Here

I write my vacation verse
Seated at a café table
Wearing my holiday hat
And a casual shirt
To set the lightest of moods.
The local weather
Frequently slips into a line somewhere
If an appropriate adjective for the prevailing conditions
Pops up in time.
My time in this place
Is compressed, finite
A slice of time
With focused feelings
And postcard imagery
Swirling in my coffee nourished mind
Until I return to more familiar haunts
Loaded with holiday highlights
And words to fix memories in place.
Alan j Wright


Words Flow

Some days
It is easy
For me to enter
This world of words
And ideas.
I sit down,
Open my notebook
Uncover the pen slightly above the expectant page
Lower it confidently
In a deliberate arc
To make contact with the paper’s unmarked surface
And before that first line is barely dry
The next line is nudging its way out
-Some days…
Alan j Wright





















It is Poetry Friday and our host is Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core.
Catherine's post examines the concept of change. She responds to a prompt to deliver her poem regarding this notion of change. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like an enjoyable and productive vacation. I can really relate to that second poem--some days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kay. It was both relaxing and productive. The mind cleared, leaving space for new words to emerge. Quite rewarding time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is something all poets must feel, that moment, over a page, waiting for feelings and sights and sounds to somehow become words. Thank you for sharing a bit of Bali. Must be a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "To fix memories in place" is a joy to me when I travel & write. That act of pen to paper sticks mightily to the brain for a capture. Thanks for writing about poetry, Alan, feels like your Bali vacation was a lovely start to 2023. I love "The next line is nudging its way out."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so with you on the ending of that second poem. "Some days..." And then there are all the rest when either nothing or nothing that resembles poetry is what comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "To fix memories in place" ...this! I kept my notebook close when I traveled last summer. It sounds like you had a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I love those 'Some Days.' They keep me writing...hoping for another one. Wonderful poems, Alan. I'm still envious of you being in Bali. That little photo of writing by the pool looks like a bit of heaven. Now, I sit with the expectant page. Maybe I can pull some holiday images from it for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful vacation! So glad you got lots of writing done in such a beautiful locale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are brave, Alan, to enter the world of meta-poems. I'm sort of like that pre-teen, clueless adolescent that prefers -at this age- to write and move on. Your word-world is like a roundabout that I see as I approach... I delight in that core - and then gladly give way as I skirt the center.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading both of your poems. I've been thinking more and more of traveling. Your post reminds me of how important it is to gather up new images, ideas, and experiences. I really liked the ending line of your first poem "And words to fix memories in places." How lovely that poetry is (or can be) a loyal traveling companion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alan, your words speak to me. I can only imagine how lovely your vacation was:
    With focused feelings
    And postcard imagery
    You have inspired me to find poetry in my upcoming vacation with the family and grands to Disney World and the Disney cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Bali getaway sounds wonderful! I love the truth of both of your poems. Yes, we have an abundance of "words to fix memories in place." So glad you had "some days" to "enter the world of words."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e