Skip to main content

A Bit of Lunacy! -Moon Poems


Allow me to begin by thanking fellow poet, Irene Latham for alerting me to my personal affiliation with matters 'moony.'

 I dug back into my poetry vault and unearthed a couple of poems celebrating some moony  moments.

The moon has been a recurring theme in my writing. As a boy I pondered much thought regarding its magnificence. I would lie in my bed staring out the window imagining I could see a face on that distant orb.

 I witnessed Neil Armstrong's first tentative steps upon its surface viewing this momentous moment, on a somewhat grainy black and white television set, during my initial year of teaching. 

I have stood under its full beaming reflection in the middle of Australia's heartland and marveled at the light it provided in that vast open space. 

I can still hear my father crooning the words, 'Blue moon, I saw you standing alone...' The moon even features in the title of one my poetry anthologies. The moon has featured in many phases of my life.

So,it is hardly surprising that I would come to write poems about the moon. When we have recurring ideas or thoughts, sooner or later, we feel an urge to capture those thoughts in writing.


A Moment of Moony Madness

 

Sometimes

Just for a millisecond

A minispeck in time

I feel wonderfully weird

Moderately mad

Conveniently crazy

I am a full moon loon

 

You see me

Camouflaged as a sensible soul

A rational dude

A fellow, generally mellow

 

But I can whoop and holler

And leap over shadows

And whistle loony tunes

Like an utter nutter

I can leave the sane lane

 

I am warmed by my own wackiness

I am unharnessed

Unhinged

Exuberant

Just for a millisecond

A minispeck in time

 

Then I resume normal transmission.


Alan j Wright

From- I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon



The Moon and Me

 

The moon seems bright

In the sky tonight.

It glows like a child's smile.

I witnessed its great majesty close to midnight

When I took my dog out for her end of evening snuffle and wander.

 

In all honesty,

I should have lingered longer.

-And paid the moon its due attention.

But for me and the moon,

It is an enduring relationship of fleeting admiration.

 

It’s always been like that

For the moon and me.


Alan j Wright

From 'What The Poemster Found'



 





It's Poetry Friday and this week our host is  Carol Varsalona. Carol, presents a post celebrating and reflecting upon Summer's End in the northern hemisphere. Visit Carol to discover more.

Comments

  1. Oh how delightful and fun these are Alan, and they bring lots of 😊's! I love the looniness of your first poem, and this ending in the second poem is perfect, "It’s always been like that

    For the moon and me," thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my momentary lunacy, Michelle, as well as my moon gazing memories.

      Delete
  2. Alan, I share so many of the moon memories that you mention. Irene’s Museum on the Moon has inspired me to write some moon poems myself, but they pale next to yours! Thank you for sharing your moon poems. I especially adore the first one for its brief moment of crazy abandon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy abandon is good, Tracey. We are less inclined to entertain such ideas as we age. It's fun to lapse occasionally and a full moon helps!

      Delete
  3. Oh, my gosh...full moon loon! LOL. Love that. I imagine you being in full loon mode out at that creek of your childhood. Whooping and shouting, jumping. What a great freedom the moon gives us in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full moon loon is still in there from time to time, Linda. The moon provides a licence.

      Delete
  4. Alan, I would LOVE to hear you perform "A Moment of Moony Madness"!! What a joy to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've given me something to consider, Patricia...

      Delete
  5. Alan, being a full moon loon is a bit of theatrical art. I agree with Patricia about an encore performance. Maybe we should all meet on Zoom and share moon loomy antics poetically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife often thinks my actions suggest the theatre, but I mainly perform just for her. Zooming and moon antics might be quite loony combination, Carol.

      Delete
  6. I love, "It is an enduring relationship of fleeting admiration." That seems so true. Enjoyed your moon poems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this line, Alan!!! "Then I resume normal transmission" --Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you come across some lines, they just insinuate themselves into the poem. This line was a prime example of a line that refused to be denied inclusion.

      Delete
  8. As the moon as waxing this week, I feel the boost of energy, always have, Alan. I love what you've found in your archives, smiling to see you are an "utter nutter"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The utter-nutter only surfaces briefly, Linda. The poem refers to a younger version of me. I am now more likely to be described as 'earnest' particularly by my family. Full moons and windy days often brought out strange happenings in the playground during my teaching days- not me, the students. Ah yes, the marvellous moon.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the moony post, Alan. I agree that things we ponder often can pop up again and again in our writing. In your own poems I especially loved the 'full moon loon'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, you are right about recurring subjects and themes. The longer we write, the more likely this is to become apparent. I certainly have recurring themes- seasons, food, people, places- to name a few. Glad you enjoyed my moment of moony madness.

      Delete
    2. Hilarious imagery and terrific sounds in your moony madness poem!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Karen. Glad it provided some chuckles.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co