Skip to main content

Tautology Again

 


Dealing With Double Trouble!

The very mention this week of tautology in a conversation sparked a memory of how annoying it is to hear such redundancy, used so frequently, and so unwittingly. 

Here are a few that immediately come to mind:

At the present time

Very unique

Mystery puzzle

Wet monsoon

Past history

Pair of twins

Free gift

Sad misfortune

Invited guests

End result

Boat marina

Will and testament

ATM machine

I'm sure you get the idea…

Tautology occurs everywhere. While living in America some years back, the frequently used term, ‘TUNA FISH sandwich’ left me constantly bemused. 

At JFK airport, I would sit waiting for my flight home to Australia and at regular intervals I would hear the announcement, ‘This is the LAST and FINAL call for flight…’  and start twitching. 

In Australia, I frequently hear people offering an opinion and qualifying it with, ‘If you ask ME PERSONALLY, well I think…’ and I’m sure we don’t need to hear FINAL and SHOWDOWN alongside each other every time a sporting contest is promoted on television. I certainly don’t need to RETURN BACK to the program I am viewing! Tautology is rife on television.


Ah yes, it happens everywhere. Tautology is not strictly a figure of speech, but merely a commonly occurring error in speech and writing. In writing, such redundancy is referred to as, pleonasm. 

I confess, I did not know that until I did some research. Well, whatever it is, it clearly annoys some of us more than others…

And, just remember that when you say, Sahara Desert that the word -sahara, means desert.

And so to my poetic response!

The Plan To Attack Tautology

Last night

The Minister for Words

Godfrey Blathering- Chatterbox

Appeared on television to announce

A brand NEW INNOVATION

-To cut back on the overuse of words

There’s too much tautology at play in our everyday conservation!

Blurted the Minister

HENCEFORTH and FORTHWITH

Everyone is URGED and ENCOURAGED

To CEASE and DESIST

From wasting words unnecessarily…

FIRST and FOREMOST

No more asking for TUNA FISH sandwiches

No further reference to TWO TWINS

Or DARK haired BRUNETTES

Going forward we shall use ATM’s

But not ATM MACHINES

We shall refer to TEA or CHAI, but not CHAI TEA

We must understand all CROWS are BLACK

Matters will not be REITERRATED AGAIN

While at airports you will no longer hear announcements

That include a LAST and FINAL call for passengers

Plumbers will not be asked to fix HOT water HEATERS

There will be no further mention of FROZEN ICE

And let’s all agree that GIFTS are FREE

And FORWARD PLANNING as a term should cease

So, my fellow citizens, let’s all use words SPARINGLY and WITHOUT WASTE

I bid you all a very GOOD EVENING and GOOD NIGHT.

Alan j Wright

 It is once again Poetry Friday and playing host this time is Jama Rattigan. Jama's post is all about the deliciousness of donuts. She shares the poem, 'Rationalization' by Betsey Cullen.


 


Comments

  1. Your blast at the numerous ways we misuse words, Alan, is very unique! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and so true. This post is ironic, though . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, “mystery puzzle” made me smile. You know, I am glad that you listed these because I hadn’t even given some of them a second thought and have probably said them myself (tuna fish, for sure!). I love the “again” in your title. Thank you for this fun poem (even your list was a poem). And with that, I bid you adieu and farewell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! And now must heed your warning and watch my tongue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all guilty of this Patricia. Mostly it passes unnoticed.

      Delete
  5. I liked and enjoyed your verse and your poem and I quickly, immediately grinned and smiled. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan, I enjoyed your humorous poem. I am one of the culprints of overusing words. How many times have I heard less is more. Thank you for the trinet poem format. I have played with this format many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Go forth well advised. Glad the trinets have found favour with you.

      Delete
  7. Your poem made me laugh! I think I have been guilty of tautology! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jone. Laughter is good for us. We have all been guilty of tautology, Jone. You are not alone.

      Delete
  8. This is a fabulous poem! I enjoyed your introduction as well because I wasn't familiar with the term, tautology until I could pick it up from the context. You are especially good at humor! I always wonder...do humorists write humor when they want to? Or, do they write humor when it's sparked by a frustration or other situation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I have always been drawn to humour. Ever since I was a child. Many of my favourite poets excelled with humour, and I was duly influenced. I do write humour when the mood overtakes me, but equally II employ it in response to current events and frustrations. Great question -made me think consciously about my motivations.

      Delete
  9. LOL yes! The first one that came to my mind was Chai Tea (and you included it in your poem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcie. I'm glad I hit the mark for you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e

Powerful Poetry, 'Refugees' by Brian Bilston

  This week, Poetry Friday is hosted by Janice Scully  @ Salt City Verse where Janice shares some original words and offers us a taste of Thomas Carlyle to ponder. I encourage you to join a host of poets from all around the globe and visit Janice's page... Almost two years to the day, I wrote a post featuring the poem 'Refugees' by Brian Bilston. The poem was included in Brian's first book of poetry, 'You Took The Last Bus Home.' A very powerful Reverso poem and technically brilliant.  A Reverso poem can be read from top to bottom or bottom to top. It will often express opposite opinions depending on which way you read it. Such poems really make us think. A Reverso poem is like a picture turned upside down, a frowning face upended to reveal a smiling one. The poem read in reverse, contradicts itself with an opposing message. In 'Refugee' Brian Bilston focuses on a societal issue that tends to polarize feelings and the opposing views are clearly in eviden