Skip to main content

Wendy Cope Inspired -Cento Poem

 I have just received a long awaited copy of the 'Collected Poems- Wendy Cope.' This comprehensive anthology provides an  impressive overview of the much admired U K poet's work, across several decades. 

Wendy Cope has long impressed as a witty, insightful poet, whose work is both memorable and full of humourous intent. The human condition is extensively explored in her work. 

Her first collection of poems was published in 1986. Eight further anthologies have followed as well as two poetry collections for children. She has further edited six additional anthologies. 

I have been immediately inspired by my reading of the lengthy first line index at the back of 'Collected Poems.' It has inspired me to create a Cento poem.












The Mystery Of A Poet’s Inspiration 

-After Wendy Cope

 

Where do you get your ideas from?

-An English meadow early in the morning

A talented young chimpanzee

A three letter beginning with f

The fat boy in the seat across the aisle

The winter going on and on

The sick umbrella underneath the council chamber

The cherry blossom

The book I’ve been reading

Stars

Sporty people

Noises in the night

Every ditch, or stream, or river, the train crosses

 

All right, I’ll tell you what I think

On Waterloo Bridge where we said our goodbyes.

Alan j Wright


It is yet again, Poetry Friday and our host this time is Margaret Simon at Reflections On The Teche

Visit Margaret to discover how she incorporated the language surrounding weather forecasting to create a poem about the Aurora Borealis.

Comments

  1. Alan, fun post and poem. I remember when you introduced me to Wendy Cope with your John Keats meeting Jack and Jill poem. You can sense her wit with those fun first lines from her poems. Clever use of them for your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your generous remarks, Denise. i must admit I smile keenly when I read the extensive and intriguing list of index lines Wendy Cope provided. It made my task of word weaving, so much easier.

      Delete
  2. My daughter asked for “The Orange” by Wendy Cope as a birthday gift a couple years ago – that was my first exposure to Wendy’s poetry. I love what you did with the index – how creative! Looking at an index as the poet’s inspiration is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have The Orange, Tracey. I have been dabbling in the challenge of First Line Index Poems for some time now. The resultant Cento poems are fun to construct. They don't necessarily have to be long, just so long as they have a logical flow. Maybe you are the next to try one?

      Delete
  3. What a fun poem, and a brilliant way to create it from the index of first lines! You're sending me to the back of other books of poetry I have that include such an index to see what inspirations I can find there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Mary Lee. I wish you every success with your index investigations and look forward to the word treasure you unearth.

      Delete
  4. Wow! All those lines hang together really well and give an impressionist view. I love that. Now I want to go make a big stack of books, a big pot of tea and just play! Centos are fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Play, is a very apt word for this form of poetry, Linda. There's a lot of jotting and plotting as well. It just draws you in, bit by bit. I was most fortunate with Wendy Cope's anthology as it was a most comprehensive collection of her poetic yield. It provided significant choice. Good luck with that stack of books.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this new to me poet. The first lines do hang together and draw you in to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Margaret. Thank you for your response. Wondering is always a good thing in my experience.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Karen. A most enjoyable challenge upon which to respond.

      Delete
  7. Totally charming, your cento! It really works and I have a new poet to look for. This is Janice. Thanks, Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice. Much appreciated. I quite enjoyed the making of this particular Cento poem.

      Delete
  8. Your poem is filled with inspiration! I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. So glad you found it enjoyable to read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...