Skip to main content

Wintery Words Poem In Spring

It is meant to be spring, but it still feels like winter! Winter refuses to leave. A lingering season, grinning at our discomfort. Hence, this little poem. Brrr...

Chilly Winds Out There

Winter grins
Chilly winds
Teeth are all a'chatter
Rug up tight
Fading light
Falling leaves
All scatter.
Winter grins
Chilly winds
Icy gales blow
Step around
Muddy ground
Everywhere I go.
Winter grins
Chilly winds
Clouds gather in a cluster
Lightning flashes
Thunder crashes
Tis' a menacing southerly buster.
Winter grins
Chilly winds
Race to beat the storm
Shut the door
Against the roar
Inside, safe and warm.

Alan j Wright

Comments

  1. The best part of winter is how cozy indoors becomes. Your poem captures that perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The appeal of the indoors and warmth certainly assumes importance when winter 'reigns.'

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of "winter grins", Alan, and wish for you that it would take its leave soon so you could welcome spring. Love "shut the door/Against the roar". I think we'll be doing that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay warm Linda. Today it's a bit warmer. Spring days will eventually take hold here, I'm certain.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear...we're heading into winter, so this poem seems to foretell the future for those of us in the northern hemisphere...! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I have no desire to be a prophet of doom. May your descent into winter be gentle and measured.

      Delete
  4. I can almost feel the chill, Alan. Sending you warm vibes from the hot desert. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget. We are a fair way from experiencing desert days at present, but it will warm up - eventually.

      Delete
    2. Your poem captures well the feeling of Winter overstaying his (or her) welcome. It is not a foreign feeling to me (though on the opposite end of the calendar to you).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...