Skip to main content

A Poem Is Brewing


I love it when the words come calling. What a buzz. This poem is about those thoughts and ideas that rock'n' roll around in the brain before the words splash out onto the page.

 I found myself absorbed with rehearsing my words for over a week before I was actually able to share the words with my notebook. They entertained me. They challenged me. They puzzled me. In the end they made me feel poetically pleased.

I have reworked the words here. This poem is essentially about the birth of a poem.





Poembrew

 A poem is brewing in my brain.
In the far reaches of thought and contemplation
Words assemble in ones and twos
Clusters and battalions.
Sweet lines with potent phrasing
Float on the horizon of possibility
Inviting attention.
A poem is brewing in my brain
Words clang, collide and collude
Jostling for best position.
A song of composition
Rises gradually across days and nights
Bringing with it rhyme and reason
As the focus sharpens.
A poem is brewing in my brain
It pops and sparks and sizzles.
I have wait patiently for its arrival
As one would a visit from a friend.
A poem is brewing in my brain.
Soon it will spill across the pages of my notebook.
Words shaped and massaged to fit their allotted spaces.
Words warm and raw
Some slide easily onto the line.
Others snap into place
Like Lego pieces,
As they take up position
In readiness for the poet’s pop-eyed approval.


Comments

  1. A wonderful brew is one that pops and sizzles where no one can see and no one can drink until it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of us who choose to write, know this feeling of anticipation. As you allude to Brenda, the writer remains in charge until ready to share the newly formed offering.

      Delete
  2. Yes - captures the madcap madness of creation. Sometimes all we can do is sit back and let the poem flow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your alliterative response Jane. There exists in the process of creating new words a sense of madcap madness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Violet. I enjoyed the process immensely.

      Delete
  5. Such fun to read aloud. I especially love, "Words clang, collide and collude."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an enjoyable line to compose Laura. Some poems do lend themselves to being read aloud more easily than others. I am glad you think these words sound good off the tongue.

      Delete
  6. love the energy here, Alan - all that hustle and bustle in the brain that it takes to craft poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Tara. Capturing the energy and effort that goes into the crafting of the words was central to the writing. I am glad it came through.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...