Skip to main content

When Poets Use Allusion

Poets Use ALLUSION

A poet uses allusion when the words in a poem they have written make a clear connection to another poem or story. The poet may use this device to honour the earlier piece, or it may be used in order to create a humourous effect.

  In the poem posted below, 'Homework Haunts Hamlet', I have quite deliberately employed allusion. 

I have linked the vexing issue of homework to the famous soliloquy (spoken monologue from a play) from William Shakespeare's play, Hamlet. I am attempting to inject a touch of humour into an otherwise concerning matter. 

  'Homework Haunts Hamlet' appears in my latest book, I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon. 




Homework Haunts Hamlet

To do or not to do?
That is the question.

Whether ’tis nobler on the mind
To suffer the slings and arrows of outraged parents and teachers
And engage willingly in work avoidance,
To look away from homework
And towards fun and merriment.

To do or not to do?
That is the question.



Comments

  1. Ha! I am currently sitting next to a fifteen year old girl who was in tears today over the amount of homework she must accomplish before going to bed tonight. I thought I'd get a start on some of my (favorite Poetry Friday) readings. Oh, she will love it when I read this to her.....right after she finishes this geometry problem! Cheers, Alan. Thanks for the spot-on poem and a much needed light moment in my night of frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured the homework experience so well. I am happy to be beyond the days of homework. Now my deadlines are self-imposed and much easier to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all practiced at avoidance unfortunately. I like deadlines. They act as a motivator to get a project, a task completed. I sweat, I strain, but mostly I get there. Homework and its efficacy remain an issue for teachers and students alike.

      Delete
  3. So many of my obligations could use this lens as a way of evaluating their urgency. To grocery shop or not... To sort the laundry or not... The list is quite endless, but I have to admit, that I am grateful to have grown out of homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, the days of doing homework have certainly left indelible memories.

      Delete
  4. "To do or not to do" is always the question! Fun allusion, Alan. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the connection Bridget. I had a chuckle to myself when composing it.

      Delete
  5. UGH you've summed up my high school experience far too well, it's bringing back too many memories! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to arouse feelings that may deliver a sense of repressed anxiety. Move to something more uplifting like, -ice-cream!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...