Skip to main content

Poetry Friday -The Triolet Poem


The Triolet (TREE-o-LAY), is a poetic form with 13th century French roots. It has links to the rondeau or 'round' poem. 

The triolet is perfect for using repetition, because the first line of the poem is used 3 times and the second line is used twice. It's an 8-line poem, so there are only 3 other lines to write.


Two of those lines rhyme with the first line, the other rhymes with the second line.

The triolet looks like this:
A (first line)
B (second line)
a (rhymes with first line)
A (repeat first line)
a (rhymes with first line)
b (rhymes with second line)
A (repeat first line)
B (repeat second line)

I only had to look out the window this morning in order to find my inspiration. I could hear the wind howling through the trees and witness its command, its power, over all things outdoors. 

The Morning Wind

The wind now bullies the trees
Ferocious, unyielding and bold
It formed from a gentle breeze
The wind now bullies the trees
With the strength of Hercules
A blustering blast, icy cold
The wind now bullies the trees
Ferocious, unyielding and bold.

Alan j Wright



Comments

  1. I haven't ever seen this poetic form. I like the form and the poem. You do an excellent job personifying the wind. Thanks for sharing your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me too, and like you I find it pleasing to my sensibilities. Writing the poem reminded me how important it to identify the right subject and the fact that it was there, right in front of me made it a logical subject to focus upon. Thank you for your kind remarks.

      Delete
  2. The explanation sounds so complicated, but you make it seem so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm perfectly honest Mary Lee, it was a little confusing to begin with, but the end result was quite pleasing so I'm glad I persisted. These different poetic forms I have been exploring have proven to be informative and challenging too. That's their appeal.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried a triolet and I appreciate your careful (and visual) explanation. There's a beautiful rhythm to your poem and I agree with Mary Lee--you make this look easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly. It was a bit like baking a cake. I had to mix in each of the ingredients and hope it came out well in the end and as I explained to Mary Lee it took some time to 'make it and bake it,' but I also like the rhythm of these triolet poems once the parts of all together.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed writing a few triolets. Once I find the right first two lines, I enjoy the gentle rhythm and repetition. I can feel and hear that ferocious wind as I read your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quest as you state Kay is to find those first two lines. I always tell young poets they must begin and end strongly, so I must practice what I preach. Like you I found some comfort in both the rhythm and the repetition of the Triolet.

      Delete
  5. Strong, gusty poem Alan! I'm sorry for your " blustering blast, icy cold" weather–but I guess it served you by inspiring this poem. I wrote a triolet recently about the immigrant children being separated from their parents. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I guess once we have identified the subject/ focus of our writing, the defined structure of the poem assists its emergence. Inspiration is everything.

      Delete
  6. Triolets seem like they will be easy because there are so many repeating lines...until you realize they all have to relate to each other. (of course, it could be a "Random Triolet" form - which doesn't relate or make sense, but is so easy...lol!)
    Great job tying your triolet together so poetically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Triolets are deceptive Donna! Thank you for your kind remarks. They present a challenge, but the result for effort is most pleasing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...