Skip to main content

VIVID- Poems & Notes About Colour




Image result for Vivid Julie Paschkis

Today I have an intriguing new book to share. ‘Vivid’ by Julie Paschkis -a hybrid text incorporating poetry and informational notes about colour. The author and illustrator reminds us how colour is woven into our language, connected to our moods and colour has different connotations among different societal groups. 

The poems are mostly quite short, free verse poems at times employing repetition and elements of rhyme. The poems easily complement the fascinating facts that accompany each of the poetic offerings. The partnership between information and poetry created in this text adds a deeper dimension to the reading experience.


'Even though blue is often associated with sadness, it is the most popular colour according to polls taken in ten countries around the world.'

On a personal note, and as a reader, this book meets two strong interests of mine- factual information and verse. The book demonstrates the various ways to think about colour and delivers a playful way to explore the colours of our world.

I love books that present possibilities. This book shows how poetry connects effortlessly to the wider world. 


Image result for Vivid Julie Paschkis


INDIGO

Diving
Into
Long Lake
headfirst
In I go
plummeting
through
light 
blue
deep 
down
low 
into
indigo

Julie Pashkis

I
I have been inspired to experiment with this approach in my writer's notebook. I will be sharing this approach with the young poets with whom I write,  hoping they may be inspired to try such an approach, in their own writing.





Comments

  1. Two people sharing this collection today! On opposite sides of the ocean. You've doubled my desire to read it. (I too love poems that combine creativity and facts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing coincidence Kat. I am glad it has lit your curiosity to find out more.

      Delete
  2. I like the poetry results of the book's inspiration and as in the book, I like that you added the extra information. I just got the book this week, and enjoyed it very much with a granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book clearly written to be enjoyed with a grandchild Linda. I tried the text's structure to demonstrate to young writer's that it presents an opportunity to access new possibilities. I can now talk about with a certain knowing, having tried it myself.

      Delete
  3. I've read a few reviews of this collection, and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed your own poems as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly for your remarks. I'm glad my review has added to your anticipation of the book. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I just read about this book over at Diane's library blog, and am excited to learn more here. It looks like such a fun book. I enjoyed the examples you shared from your notebook, too. Now I want to read the book and try some approaches, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that two of us have provided some awareness of this book Kay. I hope you see in it the potential for highlighting its hybrid qualities. Qualities that may elicit further partnerships for poetry.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e