Skip to main content

Poetry Friday- How Do We Inspire Young Poets?

How do you inspire young poets? 

Poetry Podcast No.2.


This is the second instalment of a recent discussion I shared with Corinne Kaplan, an educator with a passion for literacy. We had the opportunity to sit and discuss what inspires young poets. It formed part of the Arts Learning Festival conducted by the Independent Schools of Victoria.



In this episode, we discuss how you encourage young poets to find inspiration. Think small: their own treasures and the objects, the things around them.

And what if they can’t find the right word? Well, it’s perfectly okay to make one up…

If you are willing to stay with us until the end, I will share two of my poems from the recently published anthology, 'What the Poemster Found'.









The Words That Come At Night

Sometimes
The words of unwritten poems
Slide into bed next to me
They nestle on my pillow
And whisper in my ear
Write me down
Write me down
-Remember me
In tomorrow’s early light

Soft echoes at the edge of sleep
Implore me to
Commit to memory
Sweet refrains and edgy fragments
These faint murmurings
These wannabe words of unwritten poems
Settle as cobweb fine
Final thoughts
Last visitors
Before sleep swallows the room.


Alan j Wright, 'What The Poemster Found.'



Where Does My Poetry Hide?

Where does my poetry hide?
It snuggles in snatches of conversations 
floating down the street
It rocks about in my collected treasures
Junky and jumbled

I look for it in lettuce, limes and lemons
In asparagus, apples, even anchovies
It might be sealed a packet of peppermints
A jar of peanut butter
Escaping with aromatic intensity
Poetry washes up on the shoreline
in clusters of seashells
Glittering sea glass
Seaweed and wet sand

I seek it out in a song’s refrain
And voices in a playground
I find it nestling in my favourite books
It emerges in isolated words
-and fabulous fragments
Angry and otherwise
It swirls in the mumbles and whispers rumbling
against the internal walls of houses.
It develops in photographs that magically reveal my history

Poetry soothes me in sonorous voices on the radio
And thunders at me on stormy mornings
I can spot it in a day old newspaper article
Or a marescent autumn leaf

Poetry reveals itself in a small child’s eyes
It announces itself in simple pleasures,
Or recollections of days long past
It is minute like smidgens and skerricks
Things barely seen or blown to smithereens
It is immense like boulders, bridges and reservoirs

I hear poetry in the morning carols of magpies
I wake each day knowing it’s out there
waiting for me to discover its hiding spots
-Coming, ready or not!

Alan j Wright, 'What The Poemster Found.'









Comments

  1. Alan, one of those silver linings of this time is that I have a bit more time to listen to a podcast. This was a really delightful chat. I'm an educator who looks for ways of brining poetry to student readers and writers. Thank you!
    And, the idea of ideas for poetry in your poem above are so fun. They really do slide into bed next to me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'm pleased you were able to quarantine a little listening time, and that you found something of value in the conversation and the poems.

      Delete
  2. I remember those same caroling magpies singing their poetry to me when I lived in Australia. :) Thank you for sharing this interesting conversation and your delightful poems, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, those magpies are a morning delight. Glad you liked the conversation and the poems.

      Delete
  3. LOVE the poems! One of the benefits of distance teaching/learning is that I can toss out invitations that have no strings attached. These are perfect ways to remind students that poetry is always within their reach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the poems Mary Lee. Keep tossing out those invitation...

      Delete
  4. This podcast is excellent - I'll be sharing with my teaching students. And, as always your poems are excellent too. I love: "I wake each day knowing it’s out there
    waiting for me to discover its hiding spots".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally. It pleases me to think this conversation can contribute in some small way. I'm glad you liked the poems too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...