Skip to main content

Animals in Verse


Poets have long called upon the topic of animals to focus their thoughts upon. Meaning is directed towards animals, turning them into symbols or caricatures and linking them directly to the confines of human culture. 

Animals have their own unique identities, and these traits have always proven irresistible to poets. Poetry through its great variety of forms and its broad scope has willingly embraced the notion of animals to cross, blur, and reimagine these interconnected worlds.

Occasionally poets write individual poems concerning animals and sometimes animals fire imagination sufficiently for poets to create an entire anthology of verse related to animals. 

An enduring favourite of mine since childhood is 'Five Eyes' by Walter de la Mare. I love how the reason for the title is revealed in the final line. The poet expertly captures the contest between the cats and the mice.

Five Eyes
by
Walter de la Mare


 

In Hans' old Mill his three black cats
Watch the bins for the thieving rats.
Whisker and claw, they crouch in the night,
Their five eyes smouldering green and bright:
Squeaks from the flour sacks, squeaks from where
The cold wind stirs on the empty stair,
Squeaking and scampering, everywhere.
Then down they pounce, now in, now out,
At whisking tail, and sniffing snout;
While lean old Hans he snores away
Till peep of light at break of day;
Then up he climbs to his creaking mill,
Out come his cats all grey with meal - 
Jekkel, and Jessup, and one-eyed Jill.

With these observations foremost in my mind, I want to share some poems featuring various representatives of the animal kingdom. My search revealed that I have written about animals more than I had initially realized. The first poem is about the Black Kite, a bird of prey. I am sharing it for the first time. The other poems have been lifted from my published poetry anthologies. Animals could prove to be a productive focus for your own poetry output. 


The Gathering of The Kites

Black Kite - Birds of Prey

Against a clear blue sky curtain

Of a Darwin day

Black Kites flock

Soaring effortlessly

On the breezes of the dry season

Twisting their forked tails

Dipping

Wheeling

Sky dancing

In a relentless search for food

Birds of prey

Fire makers

Spending another day on the wing

Alan j Wright

Previously Unpublished


Pigs Might Fly

BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>'PIGS MIGHT FLY' - zorian matthews - 5606320

Birds fly, so might I

Said the pig…

My word, said the bird

No drama, said the llama

Might take a while, said the crocodile

Up there? Asked the bear

Is that legal? Asked the eagle

Dream on, said the swan

Good luck, said the duck

Oh no, said the crow

You won’t get far, said the galah

Better me than you, said the emu

I’m heading for cover, said the plover

It’s hard not to laugh, said the giraffe

Can I come too? Asked the kangaroo

Alan j Wright

From the book, 'What The Poemster Found.'






















 

Cat in the Window

Wild cat looking through the window | The fluffy male wild c… | Flickr

Grandma’s cat

Sir Fluffickins

Sits on the windowsill

Beside the floral curtains

Like a statue ever still

He stares at people

On the street

Slowly passing by

And no one seems to notice

His ever watchful eye

 

So the cat sits by the curtains

Curtains, faded by the sun

He stares

He purrs

And gazes out

Unseen by anyone.

Alan j Wright

From the book,  'What The Poemster Found.'


A Massive Murder of Crows

Birds of evil omen | Birdwatching | The Guardian

 I went walking under a seamless grey sky

In search of a sandwich shop

I ambled past a giant tree

Deciduous

Its naked winter branches

Adorned with a massive murder of crows

A raucous chorus of calamitous cawing

Scraped the sky

Crow feathers all soot and cinders

Like black leaves

 

Crows perched starkly in a winter tree

Contrasting the grey curtain of the sky

 

A massive murder of crows

And a sense of misgiving

Cawing

Cawing

Pathetic jagged notes rising up

On a black day in July.

Alan j Wright

From 'What The Poemster Found.'


A Walrus Waited

Giant Walrus named Marmalade after a public vote | the mcmanus

 I stepped into an elevator

And amazingly I saw

A lumpy, grumpy walrus

Lying on the floor

The walrus seemed to be asleep

He snuffled, heaved and sighed

I scratched my head in wonderment

Did he want to take a ride?

Just then the walrus raised his head

And amazed me even more

He spoke to me

His deep low voice

Said simply- Seventh floor!

Alan j Wright

From 'Searching For Hen's Teeth'

 


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing these great animal poems, Alan! I can't decide which is my favorite, but probably either "The Walrus Waited" or "Pigs Might Fly." And thanks, you gave me an idea for one of my own to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Rosa. Glad my animal reflections have sparked an idea for a fellow poet.

      Delete
  2. Unexpected twists delight me, and that's exactly what you did with your poem, The Walrus Waited. Thank you for starting my morning off on a high note. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Walrus is certainly drawing attention. The origins of the poem are salubrious I'm afraid. The idea came about from encountering a man asleep in an elevator- the rest is history! Glad my words elevated your morning mood.

      Delete
  3. What great poems! Photos, too. You write with such humor and such knowledge of your subjects as well. Such a fun and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. I do readily embrace humour. In my time as a school administrator, I tried to convey to teachers and young learners alike, that there was room in every day for a dollop of humour. It often seeps into my poetry and for that I remain grateful. So glad you found something here that you are able to draw upon going forward.

      Delete
  4. You cover such a range here! From the free wheeling delight of the kite (see what I did there? lol) to the dark gathering of crows to flying pigs, watching cats and elevatoring walruses. Wow! I marveled at your word choice "A raucous chorus of calamitous cawing/Scraped the sky" and chuckled at your wit. I'm especially partial to the animal commentary in "Pigs Might Fly." Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animal kingdom is vast! Time is short. Ranging across moods, moments and styles is a rewarding pursuit. Thank you for highlighting this to me. Glad you enjoyed a chuckle...

      Delete
  5. Yes, Five Eyes, a surprise, meant for reading aloud like your own "Pigs Might Fly", that clever rhyme gathering. I love crows, have written a few of my own about them & love your own surprise at the end of that one. Thanks, Alan, animals are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums it up in a nutshell Linda-animals are fascinating. Little wonder we are drawn in that direction. Thank you yet again for your considered comments.

      Delete
  6. What a great collection! The wannabe flying pig made me laugh, but I loved the massive murder of crows the best. What great description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Lee. Glad you had a laugh at the flying pig. The crow poem is a personal favourite of mine as it captured a rather rare moment. A small moment worth recording.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your thoughts on animal poems and all the fine examples. It makes me want to revisit my animal poems and think about the human characteristics I find in them--I think I will also be surprised how many are about animals. "Pigs Might Fly" made me laugh aloud with those delightful internal rhymes. Crows are so full of character. I like what you do with color too in "A Massive Murder of Crows." It made me think of A BIRD AS BLACK AS THE SUN, a collection of 80 poems by California poets all about crows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Karin. it pleases me that readers enjoyed them enough to spark their own thoughts and earlier writing on the fascinating subject of animals. The book you mentioned sounds like my kind of anthology. Who would have thought crows could feature in such a distinctive way?

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful collection of animal poems Alan! Loved the walrus's response at the end… "seventh floor." Your "Massive Murder of Crows" reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds," and you use the line so well. And with all these animal poems I can't help but think of a favorite poet of mine, Ogden Nash, thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. Glad you enjoy my menagerie. The crow poem does possess a little foreboding. When I saw so many of them in the tree that day, it was somewhat unsettling. Odgen Nash... well i have certainly read a lot of his verse, so if a little of his influence has seeped into my words, I can only be pleased.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e