Skip to main content

Haibun Poetry- Nana and the Coat

Haibun Poem- 

Nana and the Coat

Originating in Japan, Haibun poetry combines prose and haiku. The range of haibun is broad and frequently includes autobiography, diary, essay, prose, short story and travel journal. 

The term "haibun" was first used by the 17th-century Japanese poet, Matsuo Basho in a letter to his disciple Kyorai in 1690. Basho was a prominent early writer of haibun, then a new genre combining classical Chinese prose genres and vernacular subject matter and language. He wrote some haibun as travel accounts during his various journeys. 

A haibun may record a scene, or a special moment, in a highly descriptive and objective manner or may occupy a wholly fictional or dream-like space.

This week I am using the Haibun poetry form to relate an episode from my own formative years. My first haibun concerns a memorable exchange between me, a coat and my Grandmother who brought with her the valuable experience derived from raising 9 children.


Nana and The Coat-Haibun Poetry

Stubbornness has its drawbacks, when pitted against a stronger personality, a wiser woman. A person with a superior stubborn streak. A visit to the city with Nana Smith sounded like a super idea for a small boy. A chance to wear my new coat. A woollen coat ideal for keeping out winter’s chill. Nana, having raised nine children of her own advised me my woollen coat would be an inappropriate choice of apparel given the forecast- warm to mild weather. An exchange of opinions took place at the front gate between the cypress trees of her Lake Road residence. Even the intervention of my Mother failed to shake my resolve to wear that coat. When all else failed, I cried and wailed. Nana proposed that I wear the coat, as I was insisting, but under no circumstances was I to remove it or ask her to carry it. Displaying brilliant ignorance I accepted her offer. I got my wish. I thought I had won. Returning home late that afternoon my Mother greeted us at the gate. Nana smiled somewhat triumphantly as the know-all child with the ruddy complexion and the fevered brow finally peeled off his woollen coat. Hot, bothered and decidedly wiser for the experience.

Grandmotherly smarts

Derived across a lifetime 

Outwits ignorance.



 







Comments

  1. Oh, I love this! So fun and funny...yet a universal moment for all of us. A wonderful haibun. I have really enjoyed writing haibun as well. I love your description of the form. It helps me understand that I'm still on the right path of haibun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I am pleased you found my explanation of the Haibun form helpful. Happy haibun times going forward.

      Delete
  2. Oh, resolute grandchild pitted against strong, stubborn grandmother. Not hard to see who would win this contest. I think I would like to try haibun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your final sentence makes my post so worth it Ramona. Have fun with Haibun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are those wise words: "Live and Learn"? Your wise grandmother allowed it, something that feels okay to me. You still remember, too. I do enjoy those memories, Alan, often poignant. And often I'd love to sit with any of my grandparents now to have a long chat. I have more questions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself in full agreement with your observations Linda. In particular the unfulfilled desire to ask more questions.

      Delete
  5. What a funny story. It made me think of a time I just wouldn't give up on something I wanted to do when I was five. I didn't know about haibun poetry, so thanks for this post, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post appears to have sparked a memory Janice and at the same time alerted you to Haibun. Two good outcomes from my point of view. Thank you for your response.

      Delete
  6. Children can be stubborn and I like the idea that you thought you won until the end of the day. I also know that the wisdom of years overrides childish thoughts in many cases. We learn and then pass on our knowledge to our family and so on. I love writing haibuns. Yours is full of story from a different time and that's what I especially like about what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stubbornness is a strong trait among children when learning to grapple with the demands of an expanding world. Thank you for your response Carol, and like you, I enjoyed this poetry form. As you imply, the past has much to teach us when we use it to reflect.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful haibun Alan, –your closing haiku is the icing on the cake-perfect. Love grandmother outwitting ignorance, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. Glad you enjoyed the closing lines of the haiku. The story set it up quite easily. She was a smart woman, my grandmother.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Glad you like the images Michelle. From the archives...

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this informative information in this post, i will visit again soon for new latest post.
    longmire coat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e