Skip to main content

POETRY FRIDAY- 'Poembrew.' Alan j Wright


I have for many years encouraged teachers to not only share their writing, but also the process they undertook in safely landing those special words on the page. 

It is vitally important for inexperienced student writers and poets to be shown the tricks up the magician's sleeve, thus answering that enduring question- How did you do that?

The poem, 'Poembrew' hopefully shines a little light on my own particular process when writing poetry. You may see yourself doing a number of these things as well, as you prepare to go about your writing.

Our personal writing process is a unique undertaking. At the same time it may also involve some universal actions and thoughts that hold the potential to assist young poets to better navigate the writing terrain. 

So, let me take you to one of my worlds where I am reading aloud 'Poembrew'  -a poem from my most recent anthology, What The Poemster Found.'


















It is once again Poetry Friday and our host, the talented Bridget Magee brings some wonderful news regarding the publication of an exciting new Poetry Anthology a poetry project in which I am proud to be involved! Please visit Bridget to discover a lot more...






Comments

  1. Alan, I love both the poem, and your reading of it! I agree that it's so important to give aspiring poets a glimpse of the poetic process, so that poetry feels accessible to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the full package Elisabeth and so glad we are as one on the absolute need for poetic process to be visible and accessible to all.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant, Alan! "Clang, collide, collude..." - love it. And your shirt - yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget. Glad you like my alliterative collection. The shirt -well I have a collection of those as well.

      Delete
  3. You are so right about teachers sharing their writing. It's important for students to see their teacher writing and all the messiness in the process. Love your poem, AND your T-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Process in all its messy detail is vital for inexperienced writers to see. You are so right Linda. Pleased you like the poem and the costume that accompanied it.

      Delete
  4. Alan you have earned the title "poemster." You have to be a good performer to make a successful video and you are. I enjoyed the wit in the poems, such as The Grammar Police, in Bridget's new anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janice, you are most kind. Videos are a challenge I embrace. All good fun with my production company of one! So pleased you liked 'The Grammar Police' in the anthology. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my ordered copy, so I can read them all. It is good to be seen among fellow poetic people.

      Delete
  5. I love 'hearing' you speak of the process, Alan. Yes it is so important that everyone, especially those beginners like some students, know how it 'brews' before landing on the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Your words are always valued here.

      Delete
  6. Alan, how fun to get to hear you read your poem. It is important for teachers to be able to articulate the process, and your Poembrew makes it fun and powerful. Some of my favorite phrases are "clang, collide, and collude" and "jostling for position" and "shaped and massaged." Those aren't the complete thoughts I appreciated, but just a few of the words that are fun to hear and repeat. Well done, and congratulations on this collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is most re-assuring when a reader or a listener is able to pick up both deliberate and nuanced actions within a piece of writing Denise. Thank you for your acute response.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, hearing a poet read is the very best way to take in a poem. A wonderful poem, Alan. I'm a fan of putting words to process. So, this poem in particular delights me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I appreciate your observations. We are both keen fans of making process visible.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...