Skip to main content

A Poem Reaches Its Ending

 This poem took exactly a year to write! Well, let me explain. I started writing it in the month of August and was having trouble finding a suitable ending, so I put into a folder of unfinished poetry pieces. Almost a year to the day, I stumbled across it again and immediately knew the words I wanted to use. The problem had resolved itself. It serves as a clear example of why writers need to distance themselves from their writing occasionally. A little distance provides a clearer appreciation of the words. Sometimes it's good to let your words marinate a little. Maybe not a whole year, though!








Sneaker Look

Discarded sneakers
Scuffed and mangled
Laces frayed
Twisted
Tangled
Both lay rejected by the door
They’ll not see action any more
No more housing smelly socks
Running
Leaping
Scrambling rocks
The sole is smooth
Colour faded
Worn out, torn out
Dejected
Jaded
And worst of all
On each sad shoe
Is a giant hole
Where a toe pokes through
Their value has at last diminished
Sad to say
Their sneaking’s finished.
Alan j Wright

Originally published in Searching For Hen's Teeth-Poetry From The Search Zone, Alan j Wright.

It is once again Poetry Friday and this week our genial host is
Michelle Kogan. Michelle offers a poem about her father, some music, a little art and a further poetic distraction -a rather eclectic offering... Please visit Michelle, who will provide links to a host of poets, world-wide.






Comments

  1. Those are some sad, sad sneakers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time for retirement for these worn out, torn out sad sneakers, Mary Lee. Without a doubt.

      Delete
  2. Seems like someone loved these sneakers to the last. Thanks, I enjoyed it, and the reminder to marinate is a good one. I recently brushed up a poem I thought was finished. It's better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you liked the marinating advice. It works a treat. Distancing ourselves from our writing, even for a short time, usually delivers a clearer vision of what we have, and what we need to do next.

      Delete
  3. I love the rhythm in your poem, Alan. And that picture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose. The rhythm of the poem pleases me too. It's as if those sneakers are having one last outing.

      Delete
  4. I love the last line. Sneakers after all were maybe, in the beginning, created for sneaking. Letting words marinate for a while is a wonderful help to a writer. Glad you finished this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. A sense of closure was mine to savour.

      Delete
  5. It may have been a long hiatus but that ending's well worth the wait, Alan. I have a sad pair I'm clinging to, no holes yet, for which I'm thankful! A paean to favorite shoes shows a lot of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost an ode to everyday items, Linda... The long wait was worth it in thee end.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I like the ending you finally decided on. Those sneakers have got some serious mileage on them. :D

    Jama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the ending, Jama. It was worth all that intervening time.

      Delete
  7. Delightful! The ending is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Endings are important. We must aim to end strongly.

      Delete
  8. Poor sneaks, guess "Their sneaking’s" truly "finished." Great poem though, sole-ful ending, and pic, and yes to letting a poem or any writing sit for a spell. Thanks Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Like your use of 'soleful'

      Delete
  9. Yes, that's it! You nailed the ending. Great poem.
    Tabatha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabatha. Hopefully, the wait for a suitable ending, proved fruitful. We often make our poems with time and patience.

      Delete
  10. Your poem is delightful, Alan! I love the rhythm and line breaks. I'm learning, slowly, to let my work, my words, marinate. Oh that we would consider this prior to speaking these days! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. Yes, both our words and our thoughts frequently benefit from a little marinating before emerging into the light. Glad you liked the structure of the poem. It became a considered aspect of the final version.

      Delete
  11. As per usual, love your poem, Alan. Well marinated poetry comes to those who wait...and remember to go back and check their "folder of unfinished poetry pieces". :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...