Skip to main content

Poetry And The Practiced Art of Observation

As poets, we take pride in our capacity for close and considered observation. It is a skill we must consciously practice and hone. The senses must also be alert and alive when we venture into our worlds. We do get better with regular practice. All this is tied up in the idea of living life twice, where one experiences a moment, an experience, or an event, and then relives it through writing. The following poem owes its origins to my regular practice of morning walks. An everyday experience that delivered me words I could not deny...





Reflections On A Brisk Morning Walk

My brisk morning walk

Came with some minor revelations

Not life changing,

Nor, earth-shattering,

Merely noteworthy.


There was a singular encounter with a lone jogger

A woman, small in stature

Who passed with a laboured gait

And a strained face

Reminiscent of a failed  bowel movement.


Two young women 

Passed by jauntily

Resplendent in active wear

And incongruously vaping smoke signals

-to track their location,  perhaps.


The usual profusion of magpies 

Wandered about on the footpaths

Unfazed by my passing

As they silently scratched about 

in no rush to take flight.


The mixed responses 

Of the intermittent passers-by

-the selective mutes,

-the committed ground starers,

Some responding to my greeting

With nothing more than a brief smile

and awkward acknowledgement 

Others maintaining a frozen gaze

Like Easter Island statues

Give nothing away to a passing stranger.


A shrieking flock 

Of white cockatoos fly in

Before settling briefly 

On overhead wires

In a random stop.


Up ahead

A dog named Norman

Ignores repeated requests

To return to the side of its human.


All too soon I am home

My body exercised

My cluttered thoughts

Replaced by keen anticipation

of actions across the remainder of the day.

Alan j Wright











It is once again Poetry Friday and our host this week is Karen Edmisten. Karen's post highlights a poem of famed Irish poet, William Butler Yeats, for whom Karen is an avowed fan. Please visit Karen and find links to a host of other poets while you are there. 

Comments

  1. I love how this poem has invited the reader on the walk...that dog, Norman. I think I know him! Wonderful poem of observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder, too, as I notice who makes the nod as we pass by & who seems not to see me at all. Thanks for the walk, wishing my own held cockatoos but magpies, though marked differently, greet me too. I like that you brought the rhythm of walking into the poem, Alan! Happy rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, I am so grateful to hear your recounting of a mundane walk in poetry! It's how I take all my walks. And I love the glimpse of Norman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stanza about the responses of passers by really resonated with me. I have had ALL of those experiences on my morning walks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...