Skip to main content

Old Snaps And Poetry

Last week I shared a Gogyohka Poem titled 'Old Snaps.' It sparked reader interest and prompted me to further explore the notion of old photographs and the poetry connection they often evoke.

I  recalled a poem from one of my poetry heroes, Michael Rosen. The poem is titled, 'Going Through The Old Photos' and is contained in Michael's famous anthology of narrative verse, 'Quick Let's Get Out of Here.' I actually own two copies of this book, just in case I misplace one. 

Here is Michael Rosen reading his poem. 



U.K songwriter, activist and poet, Billy Bragg recently published a song- 'Ten Mysterious Photos That Can't Be Explained.' The song prompted me to look through my photo collection and dig out some of my mysterious photos. It wasn't too hard. 

Here are a few of my mysterious photos that can't be explained. They most certainly provoke speculation and lend themselves to the assignment of suitable words...
 







This photograph of a group of unknown beach goers prompted some speculation in my notebook.

Finally, this poem from my anthology, 'What The Poemster Found' which was prompted by an afternoon spent rummaging through a large box of old family photographs. It had me swirling in memories. 


Never the Whole Family

Rummaging through a box of old photographs

Images from the growing years

My days of greyscale memories

Snapped with stories attached

 

Images from the growing years

My sister, me and a kangaroo

Mum and Dad at Blackburn Lake

 

My days of greyscale memories

Seated on my father’s lap

Mum holding my sister, the baby

 

Snapped with stories attached

Sub groups of a larger family

Never the complete set.


Alan j Wright

From: 'What The Poemster Found.'




It is Poetry Friday and this week our host is Buffy Silverman.
Be sure to check out Buffy's special post. 


'My favourite picture of you
Is the one where you're staring
Straight into the lens
It's just a Polaroid shot
Someone took on the spot
No beginning, no end.'

Guy Clark
My Favourite Piture of You



Comments

  1. Thanks for this post, Allan. Like you I love old photos and the mysteries they contain, so you have inspired me to go looking. Rosen's poem is one of my favourites of hid - he is so amazingly versatile - able to make us laugh in some poems and weep in others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. Glad you feel inspired to do some exploring of your own. Those old snaps so often provides a little buried treasure. I agree with you regarding Michael Rosen. His poetry possesses a wide range of emotions. That is part of the appeal. Happy rummaging.

      Delete
  2. You inspired me with tricubes, now I'm going to go digging in my boxes of old family photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun rummaging, Mary Lee. I have no doubt you will excavate a little treasure.

      Delete
  3. This post makes me wish I had old photos to look through...I love "My days of greyscale memories..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, another source of old photographs are antique, bric-a-brac shops. It would not take long to acquire ten mysterious photos in a place like that...

      Delete
  4. "Sparks of curiosity" is such a wonderful way to describe old photos. Thanks for the inspiration. I have an old photo of me standing in the kitchen of our house. I remember we were having a party with some friends and I was newly pregnant. I'm staring right at the camera, and my life was about to change. I love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. That photograph you refer to sounds like it is packed with much potential. You have such a significant connection to it. I can't wait to see what emerges...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e