Skip to main content

Poems About Quirky People

 In this post I am focusing on poems that feature people. Sometimes such poems are sparked by people we know and sometimes the inspiration can arise from clse observation of people we may not even formally know. There are times when the focus of the poem may in fact be a composite of several people. When poems are written in prasie of people, the poem is referred to as an ode. The poems presented below feature the quirkiness of human beings, rather than being odes.

I have written a number of poems concerning people, particularly family members I know well, but those poems were specifically written for that individual, so I won't include them here. 

Writing a poem about another person requires the poet to observe them with a keen eye. Your own feelings and attitudes towards them come into play. The aim is to express yourself   in a lyrical way.

When I began to search my Poetry Vault for poems about people, I was surprsied to feed so many from which to choose. The more I look at theselected poems, the more I note connections to people I know.

And now, meet some of my people...

Dave’s Mammoth Mondegreen

Dave loved the music of the 60's and 70's
He sang those songs with gusto.
He was also hard of hearing…
This led him to singing,
‘Tie a sallow gibbon round the old bloke’s knee…’
Poor Tony Orlando fell foul
of Dave’s mammoth mondegreen.

Alan j Wright


Performance Poet

Sebastian loved performance art
He liked to dress and play the part
Dramatic verse
Dramatic flair
Fevered brow
Flowing hair
Summer shorts
Favourite thongs
Poignant poems
Soulful songs
Sebastian would stand out in the park
Reciting words
From dawn to dark
He was a rather arty fellow
Sometimes wild
Sometimes mellow
A dedicated logophile
Presenting words
With grace and style.

Alan j Wright


Firecracker

Florence is a firecracker
Her spirit burning bright
She oozes pop and sparkle
Morning, noon and night
Dancing through the playground
Skipping into the room
Sweeping away the shadows
Obliterating gloom
Florence is a firecracker
She is bubbles in champagne
With a smile so infectious
Like sunshine after rain.

Alan j Wright

*It is Poetry Friday and this week our host is Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy. This week Carol is highlighting the historic link between postcards and verse. She presents the 'art of the swap.'


 

Comments

  1. There is an endless about to write about when you study people, as you have for these delightful poems. My favorite is the Performance Poet, that dedicated "logophile."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a vast array of potential subjects exist for the poet when considering human beings. Glad you enjoyed my people poems. More power to the world's logophiles, I say.

      Delete
  2. Quite a group to imagine here, Alan, love knowing the new word, 'mondegreen' & the creative style you showed yourself in sussing out that phrase about the 'sallow gibbon'. And, the 2nd one you wrote made me want to hear Sebastian read about himself aloud, would be fun. Finally, I loved the "oozes pop and sparkle". Thanks for a new kind of people poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my assorted characters, Linda.

      Delete
  3. All these poems are terrific Alan, though I especially like your "Performance Poet" and learning about a "logophile," and "mondegreen," too, thanks!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share new words Michelle- feel free to pass them on.

      Delete
  4. A lover of words: logophile-I would say the PF community are all logophile. Thanks for the new word, mondegreen. You shared a great example. Thanks for all the rhyming poems, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with you completely, Carol. Logophiles all! Glad you had some reading fun too.

      Delete
  5. These are quite the characters. My favorite is Florence the Firecracker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence is a cracker, Kay. No doubt about it. Thank you for your response.

      Delete
  6. LOL! This folks are wonderfully quirky...such great celebrations of being just a bit different. I think you've got the start of a book going here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my quirky friends, Linda. I'm with you on the book project idea. Have been going through the 'vault' pulling together my most quirky character and pondering possibilities.

      Delete
  7. What I love about all three poems is the smile they seem to have been written with -- or perhaps I am reading more into them than is there, but then... I'm the reader, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These quirky characters did bring on a smirk or two when I was creating them, so your premonition is most accurate, Patricia.

      Delete
  8. Oh, these are such fun! If I had to pick a favorite, I think I'd pick Florence. She sounds a delight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e