Skip to main content

Mysterious Mourner Poem

I love the randomness of poetic sparks. I embrace them with enthusiasm. They are a vital life source for poets. 

This idea burst upon the scene while scanning through my twitter (X) feed earlier this week.  Social media can be mirky water to navigate, but if we move quickly past the toxic waste, there is treasure to be found. 

I came across an extensive rolling conversation where contributors were suggesting possible scenarios for a funeral. Humour and quirky darkness kept me engaged. The inventiveness of the contributions was most evident. Brainstorming at its best. Ideas dripping with potential.

So what has emerged from my reading that day is partly found poetry further enhanced by improvisation on text and woven into a brand new poem.

I could not have foretold what would spark my poetic juices that day, but that twitter feed has sparked a poem. I am most pleased to have composed this rather subversive ode to wicked intrigue. It reminds me that we must remain open to possibility at all times...







Mysterious Mourner At A Funeral


I declare I am available for hire

to stand mysteriously

Beside an ancient tree

A short, yet discreet distance from your graveside gathering

I shall carry an umbrella of understated tones

I shall don dark glasses and wear a long black trench coat

And stand spy like 

To add to the intrigue felt by those

Gathered around your casket.


Swirls of mist 

Would heighten the atmospherics

No doubt.


I will steadfastly resist the temptation to place some curious keepsake

On your grave

-for fear it may provoke unwanted questions 

from the grieving congregation.


I could later mingle among the mourners

Hovering on the fringes while using a hushed voice

To utter

Suitably cryptic things to your friends and family

Things like-his life was much like an iceberg, so many secret lie submerged…


Before wandering off and catching a passing bus.

This could be your last laugh

-Your parting gesture...

Let me know if you are interested in taking up this offer.

Alan j Wright

It is Poetry Friday and this week our host is Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect. Tricia's post presents a pantoum poem about her dog, Cooper.


Comments

  1. Love the intrigue! And so wickedly humorous. I think this could be an entire movie! It came as a surprise to me that the main character was speaking to the (eventually) dead-to-be. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. Yes, the poem is based on a proposal to someone in the event of their death in order to add a dash of intrigue to the funeral.

      Delete
  2. This tickled my funny bone. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you appreicated the humour of the piece, Sarah. I was grinning during the composing phase.

      Delete
  3. This is funny and interesting. I enjoyed hearing about your process. I too like finding the unexpected poems that sometimes seem offered up to us, if we notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin. Well, I felt I owed to readers to unpack the process. The poem presented cold could lead one to consider the whole thing a little bit strange... The spark of an idea was irresisitible!

      Delete
  4. Ha, it would bring more conversation than usual if it's a small town. Everyone knows everyone there, and then again, it would be "the talk of the town" for years! It's nice to learn where the idea came from, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having grown up in what was then a small town, I totally agree with you Linda. Thanks for the feedback on the process information accompanying the poem.

      Delete
  5. It was fun to read the backstory for this poem . Inspiration can come from the oddest places! I enjoyed all of it, but especially those first three lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backstory was something I considered rather essential this time, Molly. Glad you found the poem engaging. Inspiration has the quality of quicksilver. we must remain alert and ready to embrace it fleeting spark.

      Delete
  6. Good reminder to keep my mind and eyes open for inspiration...even in the most unlikely places/topics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiration dares us to look for it, Mary Lee. It is a most intriguing game.

      Delete
  7. Oh, my word! Yes, isn't that funny that inspiration can arise from anywhere. I love the idea of this mystery mourner. So funny to image it happening at my or other loved ones funerals. It would surely be a last laugh for the person who died, as well as a long-lasting wonder by those remaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poem is delectable, Alan, but I wrote these words from you in my notes - ideas dripping with potential. I'm always on the lookout for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. The eternal search continues...

      Delete
  9. I'm anonymous above - Rose Cappelli.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan, this is Janice. I found myself laughing at the line where you suggest the deceased's life was like an iceberg, imagining saying that at this mysterious funeral. I should visit social media more often as there are poem possibilities there. I enjoyed this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind response Janice. good luck with your searching.

      Delete
  11. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most kind, Laura. I did have a chuckle as this took shape.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e