Skip to main content

Raw Beauty /A Christmas Poem

 A seasonally adjusted poem is my offering this week. I found a poem I had written during my time living and working in New York called Raw Beauty. It encapsulates a stranger's Christmas gift in the depths of a miserably cold day, in a rather dreary location. 
Inspired by Linda Mitchell's mash up poem last week, I decided to mash my poem with a short, evocative Christmas poem by UK poet, Wendy Cope. I enjoyed the weaving process.
Season's greetings all.
Vanderbilt Avenue bus shelter














Raw Beauty- A Christmas Poem
After Wendy Cope

At Christmas little children sing and merry bells jingle

I'm standing at the bus stop

On Vanderbilt Avenue

Stick trees line the street

Silent soldiers on a bleak avenue

 

In a feeble shelter

Three women stand

I huddle in my flimsy coat

Nearby

An icy wind

Rampant, raw

Slaps my face

With a bully’s rage

The cold winter air makes our hands and faces tingle

Above the wind

And the ugly song of the traffic

I hear whistling

Faint at first, yet familiar

Melodic carols

Carried higher than the street noise

Let heaven and angels sing!

And I  can see happy families go to church and cheerily they mingle

 

A man

Thin and whiskery

His winter cap at a jaunty angle

Leans against a wall of grungy graffiti

Whistling his selection of Christmas cheer

Beauty in the raw

Rising above the cacophony of cars and trucks

Rising, rising

Until I hear only the whistling man

His joyous carols a chorus for angels, kings and commuters

Soaring above the drabness of the day

His lilting air

Lifts me from the ordinary

I enter the bus

Determined to thank him

Because the whole business of Christmas is unbelievably dreadful, if you're single

 

So I do…

 Alan j Wright


It is Poetry Friday and our host on this occasion is Michelle Kogan artist, poet and writer. Michelle gives us a little peace and light and a golden Shovel Poem with a famous tag line. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your Christmas memory as a mashup poem - cool! Merry Everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry wishes back to you, Irene. It's a great memory to share.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Alan. Your poem reminds me of a woman I followed in the grocery store this week, humming a Christmas tune. There is beauty everywhere if we care to notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose. You're absolutely right. We keep looking and it's right there.

      Delete
  3. Alan, your poem so beautifully captures the coldness and warmth of Christmas in Brooklyn. I love all of it, especially how the carols are "soaring above the drabness of the day." Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you too. Brooklyn had such sweeping extremes, but i loved my time there, no doubt about it. I returned with a treasury of stories and poems.

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed your poem, Alan. I was right there with ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha. So glad you came along for the journey.

      Delete
  5. I ran into an old friend today at the grocery store, & we chatted and caught up, as one does, and also helped each other choose food and say things like "I love this, try it!" I love your mash-up of holding a special moment dear in your poem, Alan! It must have been a nice feeling to remember and to write! Merriest of Holiday wishes to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running into old friends unexpectedly is always a joy. That busstop memory glows brightly, for sure, Linda. Wishing you all the joy and happiness that comes with the season.

      Delete
  6. You lived and worked in NY? That's neat. I didn't know that. The raw there is oh, so intense in the winter. What a neat mash-up of holiday cheer against that dreary backdrop. I'm not sure why opposite feelings work for me in poetry but they do! Speaking of...great last line on this piece. It has layers of meaning. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the kind response to my poem. Opposite or contrasting images and emotions do provide poets with rich terrain to explore. Glad you found pleasure in reading this poem.

      Delete
  7. Cathy Stenquist-what a cool mashup poem, Alan. It was so descriptive. I felt like I was right there on the street feeling the cold air on my cheeks And all the sounds of winter. Well done! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. Hope you were rugged up while reading my winter offering. Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  8. What a heart-felt-take on your Christmas poem, it really lights up from the inside and spreads all around, thanks for sharing it Alan! Merry Christmas to you and your family and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle and compliments of the season to you and family as well.

      Delete
  9. Oh, that mash-up works so well! I felt the raw winter air, and the warmth of human connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Your observation of the contrast between the raw winter and the wamrth of the human connection is most gratifying. It was exactly that differential that inspired the writing of the poem.

      Delete
  10. Alan, the raw beauty and a NY state of mind is a lovely reflection on the landscape, people, and weather. Thanks for sharing your memories in your mashed up poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol for your kind and supportive response.

      Delete
  11. Love "a chorus for angels, kings, and commuters" -- makes my heart tingle :)
    Thanks for sharing this, Alan. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. Heart tingles are good in my book. Happy and safe holidays to you too.

      Delete
  12. What a picture you painted with your woven words! Fantastic! Heart-touching!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...