Skip to main content

The Crossworder Poem -Alan j Wright

 

This poem emerged from a brief observation while on a supermarket raid last week. A notebook entry percolated into a poem and this is the result.

Poets are observers. Much of our inspiration comes from the noting of brief encounters and magic moments. We see something and feel a compelling urge to react with words.  So here is my poem about my special sighting of a cruciverbalist...


Crossworder

A man sporting a wide brimmed hat
Sat in the café
Studiously crouched over
The Thursday crossword in the newspaper.
His pen poised,
His brow set to serious.
 
I further noticed he was seated
One down and three across
from the café entrance.
Beyond that
I didn’t have a clue.
Although I did wonder if a crossword passed his lips
while his puzzle he pondered.

Alan j Wright



















It's Poetry Friday and our host this time is Carol Labuzzetta. Carol uses the metaphor of a ferris wheel to write about life's ups and downs and the ever changing cycle we all encounter. 

Comments

  1. This is an interesting form Alan. I am an observer as well. Right now, in the Minneapolis Airport, there are so many people to watch. Many, including me at this moment on a device. Soon, I'll put my laptop away and truly observe, maybe getting a poem out of it as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Observation is akin to a lifesource to a poet, I believe. I can picture you in the airport, Carol. Your mind and senses feasting on the rich pickings of that busy setting. May you enjoy safe travels and a burst of ideas.

      Delete
  2. oooooh, these are my favorite kinds of poems...percolated in/from the notebook. Well done. I love the placement of the man in the poem. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Love the concept of percolation as applied to poetry.

      Delete
  3. What a clever poem Alan, love the geography you brought into it, and learning about a cruciverbalist, I'll have to use that word sometime, thanks! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. A brief observation that became something more tangible. What fun it is to capture such glmpses.

      Delete
  4. Alan, everything about this poem is fabulous! Love his hat, his sitting "one down and three across" (I giggled), and the "crossword" play! Thanks to you, I also learned a new word-crucuverbalist!!!! This is inspiring me to look and listen, and discover some new words, and try and put them into poems! Thanks so much, Alan, for all the poetry goodness and inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your generous response, Mona. May your observations and encounters bear poetic treasure. I must admit to being a big fan of Billy Collins and his expert crafting of observational poems.

      Delete
  5. So clever, Alan! Bravo for the noticing. My heart finds hope in imagining all the poets in the grocery store taking notes. BTW... you also leave me with the mystery of all that you seized, stole or looted at the supermarket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. People watching is endlessly fascinating. Please believe me when I say supermarket raid, it is actually a synonym for household shopping on those days when it's my turn to cook. It's new age hunting and gathering. However, across the years supermarket visits have provided lots of poetic 'fodder.'

      Delete
  6. I love the clever whimsy here, Alan! Especially:

    I further noticed he was seated
    One down and three across
    from the café entrance.
    Beyond that
    I didn’t have a clue.

    Bravo for observation turning into poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Much appreciated. Couldn't resist the wordplay...

      Delete
  7. GROAN! So. Very. Punny!!!

    --Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you would not notice, Mary Lee. The temptation was beyond what I could reasonably resist.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...