Skip to main content

Cautionary Tales

A Cautionary Tale-Desmond Dove's Demise




I have always enjoyed the cautionary tales made famous by writers such as Hilaire Belloc and Ogden Nash. Cautionary tales were designed for the admonition of children and were quite popular more than a hundred years ago. Belloc's Matilda (who told lies and got burned) and Nash's Isabella (who didn't care) have always resonated for me. It was the writing of these authors that spurred me to write some cautionary tales of my own. The poem I'm sharing today is about a boy called Desmond.


DESMOND DOVE'S DEMISE
 
A child that only a mother could love
Was an apt description for Desmond Dove 
With a rough tough head and hair so wooly
-Desmond was a fearsome bully

Every day around the school
Desmond’s reign was oh so cruel
In line, Des knocked heads together
And then announced –Boy, aren’t I clever!

He stole food from little kids
Then bopped them with their lunchbox lids
He always pulled on Polly’s hair
And told the teachers- I don’t care!

He teased Elyse and made her cry
And squirted mustard in Scott’s eye
He put paint in Hannah’s shoe
And filled Nigel’s pockets up with glue

He throttled Jason, kicked Sheree
He got a stick and whacked Sam’s knee
He stood on Mandy’s chair and broke it
He wrote a rude word –then he spoke it!

But, then he taunted Big Denise…..

-And now poor Desmond rests in peace.

Alan j Wright

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compound Interest POEM

I cannot claim credit for thinking of this idea, but I have had a lot of fun making this poem using compound words. I have used the words to sing the praises of someone special in my life- my wife, Vicki. I invite you to try this simple, yet effective approach to writing poetry. It is a fine example of word play. In this case playing with compound words. Poetry fun to share...



Compound Interest
You are the jingle in my bells The tick in my tock The flash in my light The spring in my time The whirl in my wind The tell in my tale You are the ever in my lasting The ginger in my bread The life in my boat It has to be said








Some Actions That Could Inspire Poetry

Some Actions That COULD inspire the writing of Poetry
Everyday actions can provide rich potential for creating poetry. Here is a list of actions that might prove helpful in finding those special words. Remember, poetry is writing our best words in tight spaces to create some sparks!

Putting gel or wax in your hair Blowing bubbles Trying on an older persons shoes Baking with a Grandparent Reading a whole book in day Snuggling into bed on a winter’s evening Playing kick to kick in the park Riding your bike through puddles Eating a crisp juicy apple Observing leaves falling Watching the effect of the wind Practicing something over and over until you master it Trying to put on clothing that is a bit small for you Falling asleep with your pet nearby Walking on the beach in winter Helping someone without being asked Noticing cold air on your face Finding a long lost treasure from your younger days Discovering a piece of ephemera (ticket, note, etc.) inside a book Reading a book you find yourself lost in Shopping…

Place Name Poem

I have always loved the sound of indigenous place names, -small and large towns with rich sounding addresses, sprinkled throughout Australia. They have a strong lyrical and quite unique sound. Such places have inspired this rhyming poem. My travels may have been stretching belief geographically, but it was fun to make a poem incorporating these great words originating from the languages of Australia's first people. 




Visitations

On Monday
Drove to Chinkapook
Stopped a while
To take a look
On Tuesday,
Zipped to Geelong
Scanned the harbour
-But didn't stay long.
On Wednesday,
Traveled to Boggabri
Bought some cheese
-Not sure why.
On Thursday, 
Drove through Yackandandah
Flowers were blooming
So I took a gander.
On Friday, 
Arrived in Mollymook
Found a shop,
Bought a book.
On Saturday 
Was in Woolloomoloo
Couldn't believe it 
-so were you!
On Sunday
I stayed home.
-Didn't travel
-Didn't roam.