Skip to main content

Limerick Poetry

Lured By Limericks


The lure of the limerick has always provided a strong pull for me. However, it is a highly structured form of poetry with distinctive rhyme and rhythm patterns.  Teachers considering introducing limericks need to provide a lot of immersion and scaffolding if they want inexperienced poets to have some measure of success with them. Limericks contain a couplet and a triplet and these literary elements are critical to the successful completion of the form. They are meant to be humorous with the final line providing some punch!


So with Limericks on my mind, these ones are freshly composed...

LIMERICKS

A one eared cat name of Abby
Had fur, particularly shabby
All through the night
She would hiss, scratch and fight
Abby, was one crabby tabby


A man who lived in Kildare
Found a large purple mouse in his hair
He named the mouse Milton
And fed it on Stilton
Although, it preferred Camembert


Mary’s big toes were quite hairy
A sight that amused her canary
But the cows in the field
When her toes were revealed
Refused to enter the dairy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compound Interest POEM

I cannot claim credit for thinking of this idea, but I have had a lot of fun making this poem using compound words. I have used the words to sing the praises of someone special in my life- my wife, Vicki. I invite you to try this simple, yet effective approach to writing poetry. It is a fine example of word play. In this case playing with compound words. Poetry fun to share...



Compound Interest
You are the jingle in my bells The tick in my tock The flash in my light The spring in my time The whirl in my wind The tell in my tale You are the ever in my lasting The ginger in my bread The life in my boat It has to be said








Some Actions That Could Inspire Poetry

Some Actions That COULD inspire the writing of Poetry
Everyday actions can provide rich potential for creating poetry. Here is a list of actions that might prove helpful in finding those special words. Remember, poetry is writing our best words in tight spaces to create some sparks!

Putting gel or wax in your hair Blowing bubbles Trying on an older persons shoes Baking with a Grandparent Reading a whole book in day Snuggling into bed on a winter’s evening Playing kick to kick in the park Riding your bike through puddles Eating a crisp juicy apple Observing leaves falling Watching the effect of the wind Practicing something over and over until you master it Trying to put on clothing that is a bit small for you Falling asleep with your pet nearby Walking on the beach in winter Helping someone without being asked Noticing cold air on your face Finding a long lost treasure from your younger days Discovering a piece of ephemera (ticket, note, etc.) inside a book Reading a book you find yourself lost in Shopping…

Place Name Poem

I have always loved the sound of indigenous place names, -small and large towns with rich sounding addresses, sprinkled throughout Australia. They have a strong lyrical and quite unique sound. Such places have inspired this rhyming poem. My travels may have been stretching belief geographically, but it was fun to make a poem incorporating these great words originating from the languages of Australia's first people. 




Visitations

On Monday
Drove to Chinkapook
Stopped a while
To take a look
On Tuesday,
Zipped to Geelong
Scanned the harbour
-But didn't stay long.
On Wednesday,
Traveled to Boggabri
Bought some cheese
-Not sure why.
On Thursday, 
Drove through Yackandandah
Flowers were blooming
So I took a gander.
On Friday, 
Arrived in Mollymook
Found a shop,
Bought a book.
On Saturday 
Was in Woolloomoloo
Couldn't believe it 
-so were you!
On Sunday
I stayed home.
-Didn't travel
-Didn't roam.