Skip to main content

Objects And Memories -Poetry Ideas


Do objects have memories?

A blanket ?
A soft toy ?
A pair shoes ?
A ball ?
A book ?
A house ?
A table ?
A piece of jewelry ?
An item of clothing ?


Patricia Mc Kissack believes they do. Check out her poem, 'Remembering'

Mama told me
Cloth has memory
I hope the black corduroy remembers
That it was once the pants
My uncle wore to vote for the first time, all
clean and new
I hope the pink and green flowered table cloth remembers the peach
cobbler I spilled on the fourth of July picnic
Before my brother went off to school in Boston
When we were still
All together
I hope the blue work shirt remembers
How hard Daddy worked…
All his life
If by chance the cloth forgets
I want to always remember
All of it.


Make a list of things in your life you hope have a memory.
Share your list and talk about the moments/ memories you connect to your objects.

Here is my poem, taking my inspiration from Patricia McKissack's poem.

REMEMORIES

I hope my thongs remember the time one of
them floated away down the creek
And I had to hop home
I hope my old black raincoat remembers
how hard I looked for it when it was taken
from the Prep coat-pegs
I hope my favourite jeans remember how I
wore them until they were so thin they split
I hope they remember…
Because I sure do
Alan Wright

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List Poems Are Easy To Like

A list poem is one of the easiest kinds of poems to write because it doesn't require a set rhythm or rhyme. But that doesn't mean you should write anything down helter- skelter.

Consider the inclusion of the following elements to make a list poem a poem instead of just a list:

• The writer is telling you something--pointing something out--saying, "Look at this," or, "Think about this."
• There's a beginning and end to it, like in a story.
• In other words, the poem needs to make sense and have some kind of flow to it.

List poems provide an easy and successful structure to get children feeling more comfortable with poetry. They are to be found in the poetry of many cultures and have been employed successfully by many contemporary poets.

Poetry is full of surprises. List also need to be full of surprises. Without the occasional surprise your list poems will have all the appeal of a supermarket shopping list on a day when you don't want to go shopping!

Here …

The Challenge Of Rhyming Verse For The Inexperienced Poet

Poetry is an extremely flexible writing form. It is easily weaved into our writing programs across the year as opposed to just being pigeon holed into a specific unit of work. Poetry offers a unique response to literature -fiction or non fiction. Such is the flexible nature of poetry. 

From an early age children have much exposure to a significant amount of rhyming verse. That our classrooms are filled with poetry that is enjoyable to listen to, or fun to read is important, but it may not necessarily provide the best starting point for inexperienced poetry writers.

When used skilfully rhyme can add to the lyrical nature of poetry. When it is used out a sense of expectation, it frequently serves to detract from the poem's intention. It weakens the words overall. If you listen closely you can hear the words clunking into place. They just sound like they don't belong.

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti-rhyme. In fact, I have to guard against over using it. It is a natural inclina…

Image Poem

Image Poem

This poem owes its existence to Georgia Heard's idea of the six room image poem where six elements are addressed in the writing that follows:

Image
Light
Sound
Questions
Feelings
Repetition

The challenge is to expand our vision of selected images by attending to each element when writing. The idea is to spend time considering each of the six elements by thinking about them as rooms we must enter in order to think more deeply about our word choice.


The Grandfather Clock

The Grandfather clock
Stood tall like a palace guard
Marking time in Nana's lounge-room
Against the wall
Avoiding the sunlight streaming through lace curtained windows
Tick-tocking as the pendulum swung in its unerring arc
Brass and chains and moving arms 
Encased behind a long glass face
The clock announced the passing of each hour
With blare and boom
The rowdy ringing out
Chased the silence from the room
Why so loud? the small ones asked
Why so tall? the small ones wondered
They kept their distance
Time moved on relentlessl…