Skip to main content

A Tetractys Poem


Tetractys


Recently, fellow poet Kat Appel alerted me to the existence of Tetractys poems. I was intrigued. I like to explore poetry in many forms, so this presented as an exciting poetic prospect. I went in search of deeper knowledge...

Tetractys, is a poetic form invented by Ray Stebbing.  It consists of at least 5 lines of 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 syllables (total of 20). They can be written with more than one verse, but must follow suit with an inverted syllable count. Tetractys can also be reversed and written 10, 4, 3, 2, 1. This makes the Tetractys a most versatile form of poetry.

Double Tetractys: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1

Triple Tetractys: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 10

and on it goes...

Euclid, the mathematician of classical times, considered the number series 1, 2, 3, 4 to have mystical significance because its sum is 10, so he dignified it with a name of its own - Tetractys.

The challenge  of a Tetractys is to express a complete thought, profound or comic, witty or wise, within the narrow compass of twenty syllables. so, here's my double Tetractys. 

It's a poem that came to life observing people on Seminyak Beach in Bali recently. Hope you can find a space for a Tetractys poem in your repertoire too.

Observations On A Bali Beach

They 
Pass by.
Beach people,
Brown, eroded.
Striders and strollers, hugging the shoreline.
The tanned and freckled, the scabby and scorched.
Most are barefoot.
Some wear hats.
Some take
Risks





Comments

  1. I've had such fun reading the recent tetractys poems! My favorite line here--"The tanned and freckled, the scabby and scorched." Ew and ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly. Must admit to having a particular like for that line. It was fun in the making.

      Delete
  2. I like the tightness of the form, the need to get it 'just right', which you did, Alan. The words Molly highlighted are so good, remind me of the beaches in my summers, too. I didn't know the term went back to Euclid, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Linda. I agree about the tightness of these poems. I enjoyed the challenge the line structure presented. It is always interesting to find out the origins of words and poetic forms.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't familiar with this form and enjoyed learning about it and reading your poem -- so vivid, with an ending that took me by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Jama. The ending caused me to try many possibilities. It got tight as I was running out of syllables.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed reading--and writing--this form. I'm glad Kat shared it and that others are exploring it, too. I, too, love the line of The tanned and freckled, the scabbed and the scorched. Now I'm longing for a beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am most grateful to Kat for uncovering these poems Kay. It is good that a number of us are delving into them. That line about the scabbed and scorched seems to have struck a chord. It reminded me of childhood experiences with unwelcome sunburn. We are racing towards summer here in Australia, so the poem is quite timely.

      Delete
  5. Great use of the form. And very Bali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. I could claim the Bali backdrop was part of my research, but the poem was a little more organic than that. It grew from my leisurely observations while relaxing under an umbrella on the beach.

      Delete
  6. You've packed a lot in this short poem, along with the twist at the end. These two lines are strong, and quite a different experience of how one might describe beach goers:
    "Beach people,
    Brown eroded."

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Michelle. I think my perception of the sun has changed as I have gotten older. Age and experience along with fair skin has made me respectful of the sun as one might respect a potential enemy. The sun is a thing of both wonder and wariness. Hence my reference to 'brown, eroded.' people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...