Skip to main content

Pen Licence Perils Poem




I have never been a fan of pen licences. As a student I didn't like them and as a teacher, and a left handed writer, I refused to implement them in my classes. I figured there were more authentic ways to encourage kids to write neatly. I would explain to kids that writing neatly was a way of showing respect for your readers, your audience. Whatever you write with -pen, pencil, marker, the same message applies- its about respecting your audience.

 Having spent my entire writing life railing against the false prediction of my very first teacher who told me, 'Alan, you need to write with your right hand, otherwise you will never be a neat writer,' you can understand why I don't hold much store in pen licences. I am proud of my left handed writing. It may be slow and deliberate at times, but it is neat, quite neat.  My teacher's prediction proved to be way off the mark. Her words have motivated me to dispel her dire predictions for  my handwriting future. 

So, here's my poem in defence of all those young learners doing their very best to write neatly... 

Pen Licence Perils

Yesterday
Tomorrow looked so much better
Than it does today
Doubt is now all around me
It rumbles like thunder in the distance…
Personally, I think pen licences are a bit silly
But, my teacher thinks we must have one before we can
Give up our pencils
I just want to write
-sometimes with a pen
-sometimes with a pencil
We don’t need a book licence to read
So, why do need a pen licence?
Today, I grip my pencil more tightly
Words form reluctantly on the page
Nervous letters
Shaky S'es
Trembling T's
Yesterday
Tomorrow looked so much better
Than it does today
I never needed a knife and fork licence
Or a shoelace tying licence
Pen licences should be struck off
With the stroke of a… 
pen

Alan j Wright








Comments

  1. I had to research 'pen licence', Alan, and there are templates available! I had no idea, but I understand the angst, and love that with a pen stroke, they could be gone. My son is a lefty & went through a bit with his teacher about the writing, but we have no licencing here, only grumpy teachers of handwriting. My son, btw, is grown & done very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A story of triumph is always compelling Linda. The notion of 'pen licences' may well be an Australian invention, which makes it all the more disappointing from my perspective.

      Delete
  2. I had not heard of a pen license. I'm glad I never encountered one because I may never have earned one with my messy scrawl. (If I want something read, I try to type it for my readers.) And I'm right-handed to boot. We won't mention how many times I had to redo the handwriting portion of one class I needed for my elementary teaching license.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been saved this indignity Kay. What a relief!

      Delete
  3. Fun rallying poem for left handers Alan, I think we should ban all "pen licenses," I never heard of them before. I am partial to left handed people first, my daughter is left handed and writes beautifully, second I'm a visual artist and I see value in all different kinds of mark making.

    I love your lunes–the humor and how they visually appear in your notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your attitude Michelle. Glad you enjoyed the lunes too.

      Delete
  4. Wowza! This was new to me too. A pen license. I am still stuck on this. I'm with you. Long live writing with whatever helps one express a meaningful thought! Peace...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...