Skip to main content

The Poetic Influence of Mood & Moment


Poets are influenced by the times in which they live. They are influenced by mood and moment. In these challenging times of global pandemic I have noticed my writing output has noticeably increased. I am writing more, resulting from having fewer wider world distractions and a lot more time at my disposal. Months in fact...

 I have found myself returning frequently to matters surrounding lockdown life, community attitudes and political posturing. I move away from the subject, but then drift back into the concerns surrounding Covid 19 a few days later. I am not lamenting this, but rather acknowledging it as an influence on my current writing. I have been very much aware of retaining a conscious sense of optimism, openly resisting any urge to climb aboard the outrage train. Here are some short poems that have emerged in my notebook in recent weeks. I shall add them to my ever expanding Covid Chronicles. May the mood and moment find you, pen ready.


The Day To Come

I will see you my friend 

In the brighter light of a future day

Together we'll be, once more

Like the salt and the sea 

Nourished by the shared moments

Of the days to come

Till that time rolls by

Listen for the soft whispers of hopeful souls.         


Life in Lockdown

I have remained active during my lockdown life 

Each day I

Race against the clock

Run for cover

Jog my memory

Toss away my worries 

Move obstacles

Reach for the stars

Spin my yarns

Remove doubts

Strike a happy mood

Shuffle paper

-And now I've jumped to a conclusion.


A Perfect Time

We are living in a perfect time, it seems

A perfect time to reside in solitude 

A perfect time not to rush to judgement 

A perfect time to show compassion for others

A perfect time to be creative in our responses

A perfect time to listen to the wise ones

A perfect time to show we care

We are living in a perfect time to be makers, not breakers

Now is, the perfect time.

 

Faded, Not Jaded

The labels on the days are fading

Washed out, hard to read

This twenty four hours

Indistinguishable from its

Predecessor 

My calendar is missing in action

Rendering my days numberless

-but not meaningless 

For they count in other ways

Too many to enumerate.


Do Not Lose Your Song

Do not lose your song

When the sorrows of the wider world pile up at your door

Do not lose your song

Every bird in the forest contributes to the morning chorus

Do not lose your song.


Two Sides Of The Fence

How one views a fence‬

‪Is dependent upon which side‬

‪We find ourselves standing‬

‪It's the same with toilet doors‬

‪Every barrier has two sides‬

‪Our lockdown lairs keep us safe‬

‪And the virus at bay.‬

© Alan j Wright






Comments

  1. It's nice to see your pen ready...and yourself ready to greet friends again. I do miss friends. And, I am weary of the distancing. I'll be fine. I won't give up. But, I long for normal. I want to be the one to lock the door and go out to eat in a restaurant with a friend. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, there is a clear weariness that emanates from prolonged distancing, but I like your commitment to emerging strong and unbowed. Simple pleasures will come again...

      Delete
  2. If and when your "chronicles" go into the wide world I would like to see if others feel the same. You've touched me through various parts about this strange time yet if not writers or doing some kind of art or creating through cooking, how are their days going? I have a favorite, Alan, "Do not lose your song." I don't want that at all, but do mourn those who have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A number of people have remarked on the same poem as you Linda. Our song, our voice is vital to good emotional health. We must nurture positivity and hopefully through a creative attitude we can emerge with greater self awareness. I have been indulging in a lot of cooking too. It is therapeutic and immensely satisfying.

      Delete
  3. I love the optimism of "A Perfect Time." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Lee. I'm glad the optimism of the poem reached you as a reader.

      Delete
  4. I love the thread of optimism that runs through these poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In light of all the surrounding gloom and those who hitch themselves to it, optimism is my weapon of choice Kay. Glad you liked my various verses...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e