Skip to main content

Docupoetry -What Is It?

Docupoetry

Documentary, or Docupoetry poems combine primary source material with poetry writing. A number of sources may be accessed to inspire documentary poetry. Sources include:

  • news articles 
  • letters 
  • photographs 
  • diaries, journals 
  • court transcripts 
  • medical records 
  • public records 
  • non-fiction texts
  • reports

Poets can therefore access a wide range of documents brimming with poetic potential in the pursuit of such writing. 

When writing a document poem, the poet may arrange lines or phrases from the source texts to create poems, convey their interpretation of the documents through original poetry, or write poems that fall on somewhere between these various approaches. 

The resultant poem is therefore a hybrid creation. I find it instantly appealing. 

Although poets choose many different sources and forms in creating documentary poems, many write with a common purpose: seeking social change, breaking silences, or highlighting injustice. The poet is giving voice to such concerns. -A voice for social change, greater awareness perhaps...

I was living and working in the US at the time of Hurricane Katrina. The scale of the devastation and the underwhelming response from Government agencies to the plight of those, mainly under-privileged populations, was an experience I will never forget. 

I wrote extensively about this at the time. It vexed me greatly. I read books and viewed documentaries and now I discover, 'Blood Dazzler' by Patricia Smith, where the poet records the events quite powerfully using docupoetry. I have ordered this book to add to my personal library.

Here for your reading appreciation I now share 'Siblings'  -a  list poem about the hurricane family.

SIBLINGS
Hurricanes, 2005

Arlene learned to dance backwards in heels that were too high.
Bret prayed for a shaggy moustache made of mud and hair.
Cindy just couldn't keep her windy legs together.
Dennis never learned to swim.
Emily whispered her gusts into a thousand skins.
Franklin, farsighted and anxious, bumbled villages.
Gert spat her matronly name against a city's flat face.
Harvey hurled a wailing child high.
Irene, the baby girl, threw pounding tantrums.
José liked the whip sound of slapping.
Lee just craved the whip.
Maria's thunder skirts flew high when she danced.
Nate was mannered and practical. He stormed precisely.
Ophelia nibbled weirdly on the tips of depressions.
Philippe slept too late, flailing on a wronged ocean.
Rita was a vicious flirt. She woke Philippe with rumors.
Stan was born business, a gobbler of steel.
Tammy crooned country, getting the words all wrong.
Vince died before anyone could remember his name.
Wilma opened her maw wide, flashing rot.
None of them talked about Katrina.
She was their odd sister,
the blood dazzler.

Patricia Smith


It is once again Poetry Friday... 
This week, our host is  Molly Hogan. Molly's post concerns itself with poems in praise of natural wonders as she pursues her Artist's Prayer. Please visit Molly to learn more and access the work of a range of poets from around the world.



Comments

  1. Until Katrina, I don't think I paid attention to the hurricanes. Here in Colorado we are more concerned with blizzards, so the ocean state had their weather, & we had ours. My older students & my colleague's spent a lot of time with the news & ended up volunteering several days at a warehouse where donations were collected, sorting piles & piles of clothes. I agree, the government failed at helping, a shame not to be forgotten. The poem shows some humor first, then the turning, slams in with that end, doesn't it? Just like Katrina. Thanks for sharing this poetry book, Alan. I enjoyed your docupoem intro, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurricane Katrina was a hurricane compounded by immense human misery and an incompetent response. It is therefore seared in the memory Linda. You're right about weather phenomenons being specific to areas. For me, it's bushfires (or wildfires as they are known in the US). I also experienced blizzards during my New York years, so I understand your experience somewhat. Thank you, as always, for your considered reply.

      Delete
  2. I grew up two hours from the beach, so tracking hurricanes was common (though we never experienced one that was much more than a thunderstorm). Katrina was something else. My husband went down afterwards as part of a chainsaw crew to help with cleanup near Biloxi. I had not heard the term docupoetry, but have read some examples -- and even sort of written some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, Katrina was certainly something else... I know Biloxi, but only as a title of a Jimmy Buffett song. Like you, I have previously written documentary poetry without being aware of the name, or clear on the form. But they do intrigue me now that my awareness has been piqued.

      Delete
  3. Alan, it is with great pleasure that I read through your post for I never heard of a docupoem before. Your intro led me right into Patricia's poem that had such a unifying quality. The ending was a surprise but in reality a truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always a pleasure to share in a discovery Carol. I'm glad my introduction helped to make this a positive meeting.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this bit of your history and your interest in docupoetry, Alan. I hadn't heard that term before. Patricia's poem made me stop in my tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Tabatha. Words that make us do a double take are words possessed of great power. I'm glad you appreciated this introduction to docupoetry.

      Delete
  5. The poem shows the destruction and danger of that day in detail and people far away, as I was, can feel some of it. I love poetry based on real events, and get ideas there, and poetry adds to the facts with emotion, as Smith does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerful words evoke such feelings when we read them Janice. May the ideas and possibilities flow from this reading experience.

      Delete
  6. Alan, I always learn from your posts! Thanks for the introduction to docupoetry this week. I can immediately see the appeal, and the poem you share is a wonderful example of the form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly, I appreciate your kind words. It is always a delight to be able to share something new and brimming with possibility.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e