Skip to main content

Sharing A Poet's Process

 As an educator and writer I appreciate the importance of sharing my writing with curious young learners. Their questions are essential in dispelling myths and misconceptions  surrounding writing. But equally important is the sharing of one's process. The journey is important, not merely the end product.

The poem I am sharing today, was sparked by a photograph I noticed in a magazine supplement, attached to my weekend newspaper. It's summer in Australia, but to be honest it has not exactly dazzled so far. Some pleasant days intermingled with days of above average rain and skies of gloomy, grey clouds. Maybe my poem is inspired by wishful thoughts...

The photo I found portrays a family walking along a beach close to sunset. The light is soft around them. They appear to be having family fun.  My gaze fell upon the words 'summer loving' included in a tourism advertisement on the adjoining page. I immediately cut the two items out and pasted them into my writer's notebook. I began to write directly onto the cut out beach image. A first draft Ekphrastic poem was born. I then left it for about a week before returning. More summer thoughts emerged and I began adding them to the space around the notebook page. I  quickly realized I had more to say. My thinking was guiding me to consider second and third possibilities. Summer thoughts stirred around me, nudging me for more of an effort. Words and phrases jostled for position in my head. A swirl of possibilities...

And so I set about a rewrite. Trying to include more summer moments. I embraced the challenge of making more pieces fit the space. I listened for them to click into place. The same click one hears when pieces of Lego fit into their allocated position. More rereading follows. I read my poem out aloud and then set about more pruning (editing) in my effort to reach a form of words I am happy to share with another reader...

Now, I share with you my re-imagined, re-worked words. For me poems are made, not simply written.


Summer Loving Sunset

Walking the shoreline in twilight 

our toes hidden in soft, squidgy sand.

Evening waits just off stage,

Waiting for the sun to release the day.

The summer air remains warm and blanket heavy

The light, soft and smudged at the edges of the gloaming.

All day it has baked us like a cake in an oven

-But now, the waves are soft ripples,

nibbling at the shoreline.

The crowds have retreated into the hinterland

leaving behind sandcastle remnants and footprints

-testimony to beach adventures.

We gaze towards the horizon,

Dreaming more summer promises

And splashing in the shallows,

As minnows dart away.

Such are the patterns of our summer loving days.

©Alan j Wright


It is once again, Poetry Friday...

This week our host is Jone Rush MacCulloch. Jone's post celebrates her 13 years of active participation in Poetry Friday. She also shares a Found Poem. Join Jone and a host of other poets who have gathered at her website to share poetic pearls.



Comments

  1. Alan, I crave to learn about the processes of other writers, so I appreciate this story of how your poem came to be made. I'm latching onto the idea of "words jostling for position in my head." Do you find these words do much of their conversing when you walk away from your poem for a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The processes of other writers remain a continuing curiosity for each of us Shari. The unique qualities are fascinating and the similarities provide a re-assurance. The rehearsal continues wherever I roam and is sometimes an intrusion on other events. I have been chided for living in the world inside my head when I should be more engaged in the outer world. The process of the poem does indeed continue away from the actual composing on paper- or computer.

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing your process behind the poem. I learn so much from reading how other poets come to write their poems. And as our temperatures drop with the coming Polar Vortex, I do apprecieate the breath of summer your poem brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all learn from the writing processes of others as you note Kay. I'm glad my poem delivered a little warmth to your Northern winter.

      Delete
  3. I liked reading about your process, and I'm really glad you're having a wet summer this year after the disaster last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. You are quite right. Our summer has again brought fire destruction to areas close to Perth, but the generally milder summer has so far averted disaster on the scale we saw last year. Those devastated communities took a double whammy with Covid, so they continue to our support.

      Delete
  4. Alan... loved the process. I have such a hard time waiting the week before going over the work again and again. And I need to! So... you've encouraged me... I will try. I loved the waves nibbling at the shoreline. They surely do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, we frequently gain strength from the processes and persistence of others. It serves to remind us at times to rally our efforts. Good luck diving back into your words.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing your page, Alan, & to me that title, and ad, brings in the song "Summer Loving" from Grease. So now I'm humming it as I read & enjoy "squidgy sand", "soft ripples" & "waiting for the sun to release the day". We didn't get our annual beach trip this year & I am so sad to have missed it. Thanks for a heartfelt share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, there exists in these reflections a tangible sense of nostalgia aided by a sense of what these times have denied us. I am glad my poem got you singing.

      Delete
  6. Your process inspires me. This is such an interesting post. Something that might seem at first glance to be so ordinary can be revealed with some thought and imagination to be not so ordinary. I loved thinking about the sensory detail of a day at the beach in your poem. Heat, soft ripples, minnows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice for your generous response to my post. The sensory details must be at the core of your thinking. Young writers need to be exposed to this important realization. You have hit upon a critical aspect within process that needs to be shared. Thank you for the reminder.

      Delete
  7. It was so neat to see your process. I liked these lines:
    Evening waits just off stage,

    Waiting for the sun to release the day.

    See another writer’s notebook is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jone. So glad you liked those lines. I smiled as I wrote them. It felt good to know they had visited me at such a vital time in the making of the poem.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for another glimpse into your writer's notebook, Alan. I love "soft, squidgy sand"...I miss that feeling between my toes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to share Bridget. I am a big fan of alliteration. I must guard against overusing it at times...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e