Skip to main content

More Docupoetry -Cotton Mill Kids

 Having recently worked on writing a verse novel centred on the life of an orphan boy living in Victorian England, I undertook a project requiring a great deal of reading research regarding life in general during this particular era. Historical accuracy was essential. Apart from supporting my writing efforts, this research extended my knowledge. It chipped away at my ignorance- and that's always welcome.

A wealth of  information regarding the prevailing view of the child at that time was revealed. Children were to be seen and not heard. Discipline was often strict in the extreme. The belief being children were wilful and had to be taught to bend to the dictates of adults. In the eyes of many, the children of the poor became expedient factory fodder. They were exposed to exploitation, cruelty and danger.  Schooling for them was frequently over by the age of 11. 

The poem I am sharing is based on actual accounts of the working lives of children in the factory system associated with the rise of the industrial revolution.

This poem is an example of a documentary poem and uses narrative verse style. It is a stand alone poem and was not included in my verse novel.  It is not the most joyful poem I have ever written, but it does possess an essential honesty regarding the grim reality of those times, for many children. There are times when poets need to speak of truth. Our work as writers and recorders helps us appreciate both the mud and the flowers...




Cotton Mill Kids

In the dark and squalid corners of Victorian England’s history

The cotton industry devoured the childhoods of the young 

the vulnerable.

As factories expanded

And the spinning machines grew bigger,

-Ever bigger

Demand grew for youngsters 

To toil as piecers.

Repairing the breaks in the endless thread lines

The moment they occurred.

When cotton on spindles

Stretched, twisted and broke

Barefooted piecers, sprang to action

Engaging in exhausting, dangerous repair.

 

JR Clynes

Became a piecer

Aged ten, in 1870.

He rose each day around 4 A.M.,

Bolted down a few mouthfuls of food

Before walking through pitch black streets

To a fateful factory and its gas lit gloom.

Clatter, rattle, bang!

-Swishing thrusting levers

Of monstrous machines

Performed their contorted moves,

Roaring constantly,

Surrounded by the massed workers,

Men, women, children

with sunken eyes, complexions sallow. 

All labouring away for a pittance 

Working barefooted

The boy toiled desperately beneath the monster machine

That must never rest.

Ever watchful,

Lest it grip hold of him,

Mutilating his small body

In its sliding jennies.

The boy all the time alert for the sound of the shrill dinner whistle

Signalling time to rest

Providing an aching body

Time to revive,

Time to regain some breath.

© Alan j Wright

 




It is Poetry Friday yet again! This week our host is Ruth at There's No Such Thing As A God Forsaken Town 
Ruth's post features the book  'Braiding Sweetgrass,' by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Her reading has revealed to her the link between poetry and facts. To discover more please follow Ruth's link.





Comments

  1. It's hard to imagine the cruelty of the factories of that time -- your poem gives a glimpse of a very different (or is it?) time and the danger of the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insights are important for all of us Kay. I thought I knew about this era, but my eyes were opened and I found myself horrified. If my poem sheds a little light, then I am well pleased.

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine. So many children were without childhoods. Sadly, it still happens...different ways, different places. That's why we need to shine a light on history. Your project intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sadly continues to happen Linda, as you say. I have learnt so much in this process. I am still looking for a publisher brave enough to take this 'true' story on...

      Delete
  3. Alan, you have really painted this grim picture so very well. I felt breathless and weary and anxious and even angry as I read. Thank you for taking me there - it's important we know the past so we can address the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, your response is a validation. I agree whole heartedly that we need to know the past -warts and all. Sadly such mistreatment and abuse continues in our present day.

      Delete
  4. What a heartbreaking reality... reminds me of the chimney sweeps. I'm glad your writing about it. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene. Yes, the plight of the chimney sweeps was no better. I'm glad I'm writing about it too... Sometimes our role is to deliver some light into dark places.

      Delete
  5. I think of Medieval Times when I think of the Industrial Age & its cruel constructs. I hope I read your novel-in-verse from this period between the covers some day, Alan. That's a huge accomplishment to research & write about a challenging topic. Appreciations for this poem which singes me. Poor lads, poor lads.

    Jan/Bookseedstudio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I appreciate your generous remarks regarding my writing project. You're right, it has been a challenging project, but equally, it has been rewarding and something quite different to my previous writing projects.

      Delete
  6. You've reminded me of the your children whose small hands are just right for working at the handmade rug weaving in India. Yes, "both the mud and the flowers..." happen in poetry but I admire you for taking on the mud by writing a book that shows the stories of children from the past & still in the trap today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you have reminded me of similar children in Turkey Linda. Children suffering premature blindness from years of working long hours weaving in dimly lit rooms so that tourists might purchase intricately woven rugs. The stories of the past continue to be reflected in the present...

      Delete
  7. It's the bare feet that stick with me -- especially in the shadow of the monstrous machinery. Powerful, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bare feet apparently gave them greater purchase on the oily surfaces beneath the machines. Shoes were seen as even more precarious.

      Delete
  8. Alan, this is a gorgeous poem. Your verse novel sounds fascinating. I am also fascinated with this time period. These boys remind me of the kids who worked in coal mines, living cruel, miserable lives. I've been reading about that time period recently, when the spectator sport called "pedestrianism" began, and the new sport of competitive walking, which aroused my curiosity. There is so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Janice, the coal mine children met with much that was abysmal. We share a fascination with these times and events it would seem. I hope that in the not too distant future I can share my verse novel with you...

      Delete
  9. What a difficult life! Thank you for teaching us about it through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A difficult life indeed Ruth. I'm glad you appreciated my poem and my post.

      Delete
  10. You've captured such tension between the bare-footed youth and the loud, monstrous machines. "The cotton industry devoured the childhoods of the young."--what a terrible, wonderful line. Thanks for this peek into your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response Molly. I appreciate your observations regarding this confronting poem.

      Delete
  11. I first knew the author Elizabeth Winthrop through her fantasy books in The Castle in the Attic series. But the book of hers I love most is Counting on Grace, which takes place in a mill town in Vermont. Your poem and your upcoming verse novel will make a great pairing to give readers a look at this time in history from both sides of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mistreatment of children remains a universal concern. The documentation of such mistreatment is present in work of fiction and nonfiction as evidenced by your own reading Mary Lee. I hope I can bring my book to a wider audience and add to the voices calling out such matters.

      Delete
  12. Alan, I have always been fintrigued by the cruelty involved with child labor. Your look into this topic is commendable. Your poem provides a look back into a cruel world of children laboring in drudgery. The barefoot fact is a new one for me and it seems incomprehensible. Thank you for sharing your knowledge gathered through research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you for your considered and thoughtful response to my poem. I remain grateful to the research for expanding my world view and providing me an opportunity to share a little light.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e