Skip to main content

A Poem Regarding Springtime Volatility

 I recall an advertising jingle for toothpaste that was frequently broadcast during my childhood. It went- 'You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.' 

Naturally, as kids do, we amended the wording to, 'You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with wet cement.'

I am sharing this little memory because one day last week my wife Vicki remarked on the spring weather and mentioned its frustrating variability. The day before had delivered welcoming sunshine and a bright blue sky. This new day  had quickly morphed into a drab grey sky with clouds packing the promise of rain. The wind was slicing through the garden.  Sun lover Vicki, remarked, 'I wonder where the sun went.'

It was at this point that old jingle sparked to life in my mind. It was an ideal poetic provocation. So I scooped it up and words began romping around in my head. A little while later, a poem began to reveal itself in my notebook. I further reshaped and polished it on my computer.

I Wonder Where the Yellow Went

 

Yesterday the sky

A clear and brilliant blue

Inspired hope

The sun on my back

Warmed my bones.

 

Today

The clouds

Wolf grey

Hang despairingly low

Like a sook’s bottom lip.


The wind is a bully

It slaps my face

Bending trees to its will

Shaking the leafing daylights from their branches.

 

I wonder where the yellow went...


Alan j Wright







It is Poetry Friday and this time our host is Jone Rush MacCulloch. Jone brings readers a post sharing a range of  poetic prompts inspired by Edgar Allan Poe and Halloween. She provides samples of 'found' poetry she has cleverly created.  

Comments

  1. That middle stanza with its wolf grey is a wonder, Alan!! Truly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is most gracious of you, Liz. I must admit writing that line gave me great satisfaction. Sometimes for we poets the exact right words tumble into place. It is a moment to savour. Thank you kindly.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your process for this poem, Alan! I'm off too look up what a sook is! I hope the yellow returns soon. We are headed into six months of gray. ( I honestly hope not, but in reality, we are.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, the process helps the writer and informs the reader as well as potential young poets. The word 'sook' is a very Australian/British term use to refer to someone who lacks courage, is wimpy, a softy, or a crybaby. As kids you never wanted to hear the words 'Sooky-sooky la la' directed at you. Good luck with the gray...

      Delete
  3. oooooh, I need to look up what a 'sook' is. I'm not familiar with that term. And, as you may know by my horrible whining over the years, I'm so JEALOUS of your spring. Enjoy every moment of it. I want a full report each week while I shiver into winter. Those clouds like grey wolves are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the word, sook. Fun for logophiles. Linda, I shall endeavour to bottle sunshine and spread it into my upcoming poetry posts. Glad you noticed the wolf grey clouds.

      Delete
  4. Alan, I also had to look up the word sook. Thanks for you additional meaning in the response to Carol L. :The wind is a bully/It slaps my face" is a strong way to shed light on the magnitude of the wind and "wolf grey" adds drama to nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sook is a great descriptor, Carol and is commonly heard in conversations in Australia and Britain. Feel free to adopt it. Thank you for noticing my conscious word use in this poem.

      Delete
  5. "Shaking the leafing daylights..." -- Love how you dropped humor into this poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a gem, Patricia. Thanks for noticing my little dash of wordplay. I could not resist.

      Delete
  6. Your description of glowering clouds as "wolf grey" is spot on, Alan. Love that.

    And I remember that Pepsodent jingle. Thanks for the nostalgic laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I don't feel quite so alone given you also recall this jingle for Pepsodent. Thank you also for your noticing of the term, wolf grey.

      Delete
  7. That line: the wind is a bully. And sook, had to look up the meaning. And I forget that spring is winging its way as we are heading toward winter. I would find it hard to celebrate Halloween in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the bully line, Jone. Sook demanded to be included. Our respective seasons are opposites. I recall how at one stage in my life, while working in New York, I would endure two winters, One in each country-that was somewhat challenging. Halloween in spring is a bit odd, but those who celebrate it here, don't seem to let it interfere with their participation.

      Delete
  8. I love that your spring poem works just as well in the Northern Hemisphere for all the yellow leaves being suddenly on the ground after an autumn storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasonally adjusted, Mary Lee. The hemispheres are no problem. Good get by you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...