Skip to main content

Hideaway Poem

 I have had a most productive week of writing. -Some great publishing news on two projects and a couple of school visits where I got to work with several classes of early years writers who blew me away with their brave writing efforts. I also launched a brand new website .

These events put me in a bouyant mood, so I decided to have a little fun with words and today I am sharing this cheeky, playful poem...

Poets need to indulge in wordplay and this poem  goes to that place. 











Hideaway Poem


I had intended sharing

A poem with you

But it lost its nerve

And has shut itself away

Inside a book of poems

Refusing to come out.


Maybe it’s hoping William Wordsworth

Will offer it some daffodils

Maybe it secretly longed to be a sonnet

Or part of Tennyson's Light brigade.

 

There’s no rhyme or reason

For this…

The stanzas stand up

The imagery is intact

The alliteration aligned

 

In the meantime

Here’s some white space

To cast your eyes over

While waiting…


Alan j Wright






It is Poetry Friday and this week our host is Sarah Grace Tuttle who posts about her revamped website, poetry possibilities for educators and shares a poem about a hitchiker at the airport. 

 

Comments

  1. :) I do love a shy poem (or person)! Thanks for the wordplay and congratulations on a productive week! Sometimes my reason for shyness is simply the world feels too much and I find peace in quiet aloneness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our poetry is the mask we wear to avoid revealing our shyness, Irene. I do like your reasoning regarding those times when the world is beyond what we want to deal with at times. Thanks for your response. Always appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Everyone, oops, I mean every poem, gets to choose how it lives,. I'm glad you found a way at least to acknowledge that, Alan, showing respect! Maybe next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poems are a little like we humans, Linda. they require a little psychological stroking.

      Delete
  3. Laura Purdie Salas18 October 2025 at 03:33

    Hahaha--love that second stanza :>D Thanks, Alan, and congrats on the good publishing news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. It is good to buoyed after a period of publisher intractability.

      Delete
  4. Love the poem and congrats on your good news (and fab new website). Thanks for the smiles today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jama. Glad you like the website. Always pleased when my words deliver smiles.

      Delete
  5. Nice poem! Congratulations on a productive week. Somehow, the opposite occurred for me, and I too am ebullient. Doida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doida. Ebullient is such a great word, is it not. Glad you liked my latest poem.

      Delete
  6. Awwww, I get it, I can be a shy poet sometimes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. i think we are all capable of a dose of shyness now and again . Glad you get the metaphorical implications of my poem.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your new website-- it looks wonderful! And your poem is so fun. I was especially tickled by the phrase "alliteration aligned."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. As you can attest, upgrades and new creations certainly lift the mood. So pleased you appreciated the alliterative references.

      Delete
  8. Hooray! I'm so glad to know that you have good publishing news. I always wonder if I actually understand the term, "cheeky." But, I think this poem IS it. How fun. Congrats on the good writing week too. More of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww...ars poetica for the timid. So fun, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "No rhyme or reason" -- HAHA! Thanks for the white space at the end. Always a relief. Fun poem and congratulations on a fantastic week -- may they keep rolling in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huzzah for the new website! Enjoyed your poem and love the idea of a poem that has lost its nerve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops, that last anonymous was me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the wordplay in this poem...no rhyme or reason and the alliteration aligned! And what a great new website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...