Skip to main content

A Poem About the Need For Notebooks -Alan j Wright

 


'Writing is evidence that we exist.' 

 Donald Graves


This poem regarding notebooks emerged during my recent holdiay in Bali. Since returning home it has undergone some polishing. The poem's title gives a nod to the late actor, Karl Malden who made the phrase famous in an advertisement for American Express some years ago. 

My one small regret is that this poem  emerged after the publication of my latest book, 'Notebook Notions.' I opened Notebook Notions with a poem about writing and feel this poem would have neatly closed the book. Afterall, the book is a reflective journey through 43 years of notebook scribing. 







Don’t Leave Home Without It

Take your notebook with you 

When you leave

For other lands,

Visit other cities,

When you wander down streets

Of unfamiliar towns.

Your notebook

Will remind you of exactly who you are

And where you are from

And matters residing safely in your heart.

Years from now,

The words you gather will reveal

To future generations

The life you lived,

The path you forged,

In those exciting times.

Alan j Wright


It is yet again , Poetry Friday and our host on this occasion is Carol Varsalona who is celebrating the arrival of Autumnal days in the northern hemisphere. Fall into Autumn with Carol. 


Comments

  1. Alan! LOVE your poem and I am printing it out and pasting it into your amazing NOTEBOOK NOTIONS and my notebook!!! Thank you for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mona for your gracious gesture. It pleases me greatly that this poem will be nestled in a safe place.

      Delete
  2. As you may see, I travel by walking to lots of places in my city, but rarely get to other places. But, I take my notebook, & am often surprised by how it entices me to look & look again while walking out! Love that your poetic 'invite' is so, so enticing, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I very much like the notion of notebook enticement. I have experienced the exact same thing. Thank you for your kind response.

      Delete
  3. Keeping a notebook close by when one is out and about is a great way to slow down and really OBSERVE, isn't it?!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mary Lee. It summons you as an observer of the world to look closely at your surroundings and react to something you experience, something that demands consideration. There are many benefits to be derived from carrying a notebook, this is right up there for importance.

      Delete
  4. The best travel companion: my notebook! Congratulations on your new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. Appreciate your comments. The new book has been well received which is always a relief.

      Delete
  5. Over the years I have become almost exclusively a computer composer--my morning Daily Draft practice allows me to write and then snip and publish (whether for myself or audience) almost immediately. But I'm very aware of what is lost when eschewing a hand-written notebook, and now that I'm in this sabbatical period, I hope to get back in the habit. What emerges and then rises to the surface is very different indeed (but a lot harder to search back for!) Congratulations on that new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a roving composer myself. There's no doubt I compose, or commence composition in my notebooks, but I frequently revise and refine on the computer. I also initiate composition on the computer. The convenience of the notebook is a major influence for me. Thank you for your thoughts on this, Heidi. Process is such a personal thing and we each have to find a way that works best.

      Delete
  6. There is nothing as satisfying to me on a trip than jotting down notes in my notebook. It's such a delight to write by hand with pen and ink. I love it...your poem puts me right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Your observations are on the mark. I'm pleased my poem took you to that exact place.

      Delete
  7. The notebook MUST always be at hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with your definitive statement, Karen. It has always sserved me well in the preservation of memory markers.

      Delete
  8. Alan, the cover of your notebook is a collage that holds your wondrous poems. I am sure it has many stories to tell about far-away lands. Congratulations on your new book. Donald Graves' thought , "Writing is evidence that we exist," is one that will go into my digital notebook. Donald was a fabulous thinker and writer. I met him decades ago at a conference and continued to see him throughout the decades. The year he passed, the NCTE Conference in NYC held a remembrance workshop. The room was so crowded that many of us sat on the floor,listening tohis renowned friends praise him, as they should. Your ending to the poem brings the i mportance of the word.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...