Skip to main content

Making Short Form Poetry in Bali -Alan j Wright

 

I have just returned from two weeks in Sanur,Bali. My first overseas travel adventure for two years. My stay delivered a most relaxing time, enabling me to read, write and relax, -the Balinese people, friendly and welcoming as ever.

This holiday time coincided with the launch of a new writer's notebook, so I had added incentive to fill it with a mass of observations and special moments. 

A range of short poems spilled out across my stay in Sanur, a place I have been fortunate to visit several times before. Each time the writing is easy on this tranquil island.  I began gently with the flowers blooming close by...

This morning
I looked at the flowers
And said
Thank you. 
Alan j Wright








Then came some Haiku as I developed a routine of sitting in Patio Cafe mid morning coffee and contemplation, while watching the world buzz by as words swirled in my head.

Walk the streets early 
As earth's vapours are rising
And sunlight is soft.

Large green leaves flutter
Like sails in a slight breeze
Ruffled so gently.

Sunlight through the leaves
Makes filagreed small patterns
On the ancient steps.

Frangipani trees
Release their fragrant essence
White blooms spiral down.

The spider lily 
Courts a solitary bee
That buzzes loudly.

Alan j Wright




































 






It is Poetry Friday and on this occasion our host is Linda Baie. Linda's post commemorates the 25th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks with a solemn poem. 

Comments

  1. Ah, Alan, your Bali poems and photographs are so vivid! I especially love seeing the cover of your journal, and the image and rhythm of green leaves fluttering like "sails in a slight breeze."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mona. My time in Bali was both stimulating and relaxing. Creativity arose across a slew of calm days. I am grateful and fortunate. My notebook was a willing repository for words aand ideas.

      Delete
  2. A new notebook is such a joy, isn't it? Love your thank you poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I remained amazed that after more than forty years of notebook experiences, the rush of a new notebook continues to deliver such a rush of anticipation, the pages hungry for fresh words.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your special trip, Alan. I love the 'thank you' to flowers and that 'soft sunlight'! Having a new notebook with you must have been a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new notebook was such sweet synchronicity, Linda. It was so pleasing to add thoughts and ideas across those easy writing days. Glad you enjoyed the shared words.

      Delete
  4. These poems are a sensory delight! Thank you for sharing your trip to Bali, a destination that seems so exotic! I would love to go there and feel I have been there, briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Australia it takes 6 hours to reach, Janice. The closest exotic location for we Aussies. Millions of us visit annually. I'm glad you felt a sense of connection with my posting about my holiday writing adventures.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh - thank you for letting us visit such a gorgeous place through your words and pictures! Here's to your now-broken-in new writing journal. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came along, Robin. My new notebook is thriving thanks to my Bali sojourn. Going places always delivers a multitudee of potential stories and stimulating ideas for we writers and poets.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for such a poetic travel guide, Alan. Your poems are beautiful observations of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Thank you for these kind responses.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful photos! I say, "thank you" to flowers too. They are so gracious and generous with their beauty. And, hooray! for a new writer's notebook. It's a beaut! Someday, I hope to get to Bali. It's gorgeous and so tropical. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. A great destination for any photographer, I must say. Hooray for new writer's notebooks from me too.

      Delete
  8. I love the simplicity and beauty of that first poem, Alan. What a wonderful getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was a wonderful getaway, Karen. Thanks for your response to the flower poem.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for taking me along with you to Bali! I was surprised to see the spider lily -- I first met that gorgeous flower at the San Diego Botanical Gardens in early August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mary Lee. The spider lily is quite special. I recall seeing them in Darwin when I worked in schools up there. I'm glad you have seen them. Once seen, never forgotten.

      Delete
  10. What an amazing place. The peacefulness of your poems reflect how you must feel there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bali is indeed a fascinating place, Margaret. I think the mood of the poems owe much to the island vibe. Very relaxing vacation.

      Delete
  11. Alan, two weeks of peaceful writing sounds fabulous, Alan. Your 2nd poem flows with the beauty of Bali. It brings calm to the reader and I love the saying on your journal. May you continue to bask in the wonder of Bali and create your poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treat, Carol. I am both fortunate and grateful for this holiday/writing opportunity. Thank you your kind and affirming remarks.

      Delete
  12. The time and the ease to ust sit and observe! Your noticing is well recorded in those haiku--"filigreed small patterns/on the ancient steps." I'm intrigued by the very last photo...what is flying through the air??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serenity in Sanur, Bali, Heidi. The final image is of kites with extended decorative tails. Sanur hosts a kite festival and each day assorted kites grace the sky with grace and movement.

      Delete
  13. The simplicity of your poems matched with images feels like a little excursion to Bali. What a wonderful thing to have the time in ausch a beautiful place to write. IT makes me think of where I can get out to some nature places near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself most fortunate, Cathy. It was like a perefect writing retreat. May you find a place for your writing to nestle.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...