Skip to main content

Poems With Water Features- Alan j Wright

 This week, inspired by a new song from The National's lead singer, Matt Berninger, 'Ask For Water,'  I went in search of water themed poems in my poetry vault. I wasn't exactly sure what I would find, not a deluge,  but I was curious.

Here is some of what I found...







My Dad Was a Rain-man

I stood beside my dad one summer afternoon

Under the eaves of the back veranda

As indigo clouds

Blotted out the summer sky

And threw our world into warm shadows

Dad broke the silence

Can you smell the rain?  

-It’s only minutes away


So we waited

Staring skyward

Listening to low rumbling of distant thunder

As lightning scratched the sky

And the clouds sprung leaks

Soon large, heavy droplets

Slapped the ground

Before a downpour drenched the day

Stripping dust from the air around us

Making everything fireproof 


He knew rain my Dad

He could read the sky

I saw him do it once.

Alan j Wright








Time Beside the Sassafras Creek


Occasionally
I stand still
Beside the muddy bank of the creek
Listening to the talking water,
White crested and sparkling
As it tumbles over rounded rocks.
Fish slowly reveal themselves
In the shallows
Swimming in silent circles
Resisting the current
Motionless for a time
Suspended in the flow
As if under a spell.
Suddenly
They are gone
In fish flashes
Under logs and fallen branches
Sheltering shyly.
The show is over
The light diffuses
Like powder in water.
I move away
My viewing over
For now.

Alan j Wright










At The River

Sky blue curves
Ripple on the surface
Of the gently glugging stream
As it slides over stones.

The thin shadows of winter trees
Gently fall across
The moving water’s surface
undulating like plucked strings

The melody of the moving stream
Sounding sweeter
And so suitably swelled.
The water slightly silvered.

Alan j Wright








Upon Fisherman’s Beach

Soft blue is the ocean
Sun kissed wheat, the sand
The tide is low at morning 
Waves ripple, gently fanned

Seaweed strands are drifting
The shoreline dressed in foam
Boats at the anchor bobbing
Fish in the shallows roam

Onward flows the ocean
Its waters dark and still
Beyond the far horizon
Large whales seek the krill

A figure at the shoreline stands
The sandcastles wash away
And silence claims the bay. 
The day ebbs towards the sunset

Alan j Wright

It is Poetry Friday and our genial host this time is Tricia Stohr-Hunt. Tricia has written a poem from her dog's perspective under the banner, it was all my fault. To discover more, you'll need to visit.





Comments

  1. That first poem, that lovely memory of your dad, is wonderful, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. That first poem is based on an enduring memory, so it pleases me immensely to think someone whose opinion I value, appreciates it.

      Delete
  2. Alan, you found some water-y treasures in your vault! I particularly love the one about your rain-man father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always possessed a touch of dampness down in the vault, Irene, but it never stops me delviing about. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem regarding my dad's ability to read the oncoming rain. The response has given me cause to re-assess its appeal to readers. Thank you for words.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic mini-anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. That was Mary Lee!

      Delete
    2. So glad you like it, Mary Lee. I guess it is a mini anthology. You have given me a flood of thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Woah, that first photo...what a sky! And, the idea of a Dad reading the sky from the point of view of an admiring son is perfect. I love it. It makes me wonder what else my Mom or Dad could read that was other than print. I always get really good ideas from your poems. My favorite line? 'And silence claims the bay' I can feel that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, so pleased that you enjoyed that poem about my Dad and the approaching storm seen through the eyes of a small boy. The thought you have raised regarding other things our parents could read piques my curiosity. I'm glad you get ideas from the poems I share. It is all about the universality of our respective thoughts and the perspective we share. I am frequently prompted in the reading of yours and other poets in this space. It's a stimulating environment in which to move. My mind is now all abuzz with possibility- thanks Linda.

      Delete
  5. Alan, all your poems from the vault bring such descriptive images.Your father, the rain-man, understood nature. "He could read the sky." Your water-themed poems are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked my watery selection of poems, Carol. It was fun to 'brainstorm.'

      Delete
  6. I especially love the intimacy of the first poem, Alan. And I could envision all of what you described in "Upon Fishman's Beach" even though we are many oceans apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you., Rose. Some themes possess a universal quality and water is no doubt in that category. The water was clear on this occasion, it seems.

      Delete
  7. I really love the one about your dad and the rain, Alan. My mother was a pluviophile too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem about my dad seems to be garnering attention. It remains a clear memory from those far off days of my childhood. Love that you've mentioned that word again, Karen. Pluviophiles rejoice!

      Delete
  8. I am so impressed that you can go searching for a (any?) topic in your poetic treasure hoard and find it. I like the narrative quality of many of these poems. I feel like I'm right there with you and your dad, waiting for rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I credit my teaching background for the fact my poetry vault is relatively orderly, Tabatha. I still have to mount a search occasionally, but I generally have a fair idea where to start looking for them despite the vastness of the repository. The poem about my Dad and the approaching storm has resonated strongly with readers it seems. i underestimated it. I think. It's significant to me of course, but wasn't sure if it struck chord with others. Thank you for your kind words. Always appreciated.

      Delete
  9. What a delight to read your water poems as I listened to a creek (human-made) in my yard spill downhill into a small pond. Gurgle, rush, softens my day. I love that last stanza about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really placed yourself within the scene when reading these poems, Patricia. Glad you found the water refreshing...

      Delete
  10. Each one had a calmness in reading them. I especially like the poem about your father and reading the sky. It reminded me of watching the storm at the coast roll in this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem about my dad has really hit the mark, Jone. The feedback has been affirming. It's good when what we read and can make connections. I'm glad the poems delivered a sense of calm.

      Delete
  11. I see a watery chapbook in your future!! I especially loved the one about your dad. So lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting prediction, Liz. Ah, the dad poem is undoubtedly a favourite among readers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...