Skip to main content

Secrets and Unsettled Sleep Poem

 This poetry presentation is all about keeping secrets with siblings, or  rather the inherent folly of such agreements. 

My poem is loosely based on childhood experiences.  It is also about form and structure. 

 I have consciously off set the couplets to symbolize the unsettling sleep experiences that frequently arise around such matters.  








Unsettled Sleep

As I stumbled through the forest dark

A green witch grabbed my hand

 

I raced upon an open plain


Through soft and shifting sand

 

I stood upon a craggy bluff


While the wind began to scream

 

Then I awoke in tangled sheets


From this disturbing dream

 

I think I know the reason

I got wrapped up in this twister

 

I’m concerned about a secret shared

With my loose-lipped little sister.


Alan j Wright.



Poetry Friday has rolled around again and our host this time is Jane Whittingham. Jane delivers an ode to the chaos that frequently surrounds family scheduling.

Comments

  1. Alan: I can relate, if you'll excuse the pun. In my case it's an older sister. In either case, I enjoyed your poem. The offset couplets offered excellent dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind remarks. Experience runs deep in family relationships.

      Delete
  2. Nice twist! I don't have siblings, but anyone who has told a secret ill-advisedly can relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabatha. Glad you found a connection.

      Delete
  3. Captivating visuals Alan, and I love the screaming wind too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. It was fun to write this poem.

      Delete
  4. Ha! Oh, those little sisters--they can be such loose cannons. What a great suspense building poem. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little sisters-indeed, Linda. Thanks for the feedback. Suspense in this case was a plus.

      Delete
  5. You intertwined both form and subject well with the offsetting—and the end-humor, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Patricia. Structure and subject supporting each other was essential here, no doubt about that.

      Delete
  6. Ha, there are some things that every family can relate to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, Karen. There is certainly a universal theme in this.

      Delete
  7. I love how you brought the poem around from spooky to funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Mary Lee. An astute observation regarding the word journey. Spooky to funny works for me...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Inspired by Images and Objects

There are many ways pictures and photographs can be conscripted to support the writing of poetry. Allow me to share a few ideas with you: Old photographs are a great source of inspiration. Cynthia Rylant explored this idea with great success in her book 'Something Permanent' where she employed the Depression era photographs of Walker Evans to add a new voice to the starkness to the lives of people experienced under extreme circumstances. I have used this strategy to spark many individual poems. In ' I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon,' I used a photo I had taken in 2004 while living in New York to inspire a poem. The poem was based on a story related by a friend who grew up in New York.  I regularly combined poetry and pictures in my writer's notebook, drawing on inspiration from the photograph and my personal memories. We can also utilize existing cartoons and illustrations to create ekphrastic poems. I frequently use the illustrations of Jim Pavlidis to co...

Peter Dixon -Teabag Poem

Today I'm highlighting the poetry of Peter Dixon. Peter Dixon was not just a poet. He was a performer, educationalist and artist.   He grew up in London during WW2, and as a boy his schooling was far from successful. He struggled with spelling and the understanding of word, form and grammar, so he tended to write secretly at home, drawing and writing of things largely ignored by schools.   Despite this difficult phase of his life, Peter eventually became a school teacher and then a senior lecturer in education. It often mystified him as to how all of this came to pass. As a teacher, he strived to be unbiased and did not neglect the children who experienced learning challenges.   Peter Dixon became a full time children’s writer and educational consultant. His first book was published in 1978. Whilst living in Winchester, Hampshire, with his family, he   contributed to over 100 poetry anthologies and had seven collections of his own work published including Grow Your O...

Poetry Friday 'Storm On The Island' Seamus Heaney

Given the fact that we recently celebrated St Patrick's Day, it seems appropriate that I take this opportunity to continue the Irish focus and recognize one of Ireland's leading literary figures... Seamus Heaney was born in County Derry in Northern Ireland in 1939 and died in 2013. He became a multi award winning poet. His first collection of poems, 'Death of a Naturalist' appeared in 1966 and helped to establish Heaney as one of the major poets of the 20th century. From that first anthology, I have chosen 'Storm On The Island.' This poem tells us about the stoic resistance of people and structures to an incoming storm. The island is not named. Poetic scholars believe this is a poem that can be taken literally, as a monologue on the life and attitude of island people facing a storm, or it can be understood as a  metaphor of political struggle on the island of Ireland. Heaney knew both worlds.  The poems of this first collection are grounded in the soil...